diy solar

diy solar

How many smart shunts are needed in a multi-battery setup?

terrango

So after fixing most of my system failures at -40C, i installed my first victron smart shunt.
Its monitoring (2) 48v battery banks. I have 3 battery banks with more cells on the way to make it 4.
Total (current) capacity of battery storage is 930AH. This will change in 2 months to 1240AH.
So the big question is, how many smart shunts do i need in order to monitor everything?
Can i put all 4 banks through 1 smart shunt or is that not recommended?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

So after fixing most of my system failures at -40C, i installed my first victron smart shunt.
Its monitoring (2) 48v battery banks. I have 3 battery banks with more cells on the way to make it 4.
Total (current) capacity of battery storage is 930AH. This will change in 2 months to 1240AH.
So the big question is, how many smart shunts do i need in order to monitor everything?

"everything" is subjective. If you want to see exactly what is going through each battery, you will need a shunt on each battery.

Also, assuming you have a BMS for each individual battery in the bank.

Definitely. If you're okay with an "average" SoC of the battery bank taking comfort in the fact that they'll always be at the same total voltage because they're in parallel, the only limitation is the 500A rating of the shunt, and there might be an absurdly high Ah limit too.

I will be adding a second 24kWh NMC battery to my existing bank, and I will be running through a single shunt.

One
I'm running a Victron 1,000 amp.
So, with me having 16 - eg4 batteries running to a bus bar i want to install a 2nd bus bar ( neg side) to connect the smart shunt too. Will that work? Or will my overall amps be too high?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Yes all four can go through a single shunt to monitor the level of charge etc.
I find the BMS is close enough for my use and I have no need to control anything else using shunt data. Skipped the shunt.

Yes all four can go through a single shunt to monitor the level of charge etc.
I find the BMS is close enough for my use and I have no need to control anything else using shunt data. Skipped the shunt.
So, do you see more useful information using a shunt than just solar assistant? I dont have a problem spending the money if i can monitor better data. I run my battery bank with the eg4 setting instead of use, just because it adjusts every few seconds and thats better than i can do with fixed settings. That least thats my understanding.

with newer batteries having comms to Victron equipment, are shunts still needed? (Is the bms current monitoring sucks)

Back