diy solar

diy solar

How much cheaper would a DIY bluettie like specs system be?

Realmaplesyrup

I am looking to build a small system for emergency power and also camping. I have a propane Honda 2200i gen but a lot of the times I am sleeping in the car on the side of the road. (Skiing) and would just like a serious power bank. Also I work construction and would love to be able to just plug up something like my chop saw or air compressor to it without getting out the extension cord. Also I should be able to charge it whenever I am driving by just plugging it in my 300w since wave inverter right? Would love to here your suggestions/opinions.

Would it be cheaper or just simply worth spending more in the long run to just buy a unit like bluetti?

I have been pretty happy with this system I built:

Runs a chop saw effortlessly:

Reactions: Dzl
This is a nice set up but it's a little too big for what I would like. I'm really looking for something that I could make that would be the same size as a blue Eddie Box. I'm working right now and don't have time to watch your full video but if you could respond this how much does costumes at how many air power's it is. I have to be able to fit this in a 2000 Toyota Camry if that helps

I suppose that depends on which bluetti your talking about

100ah LFP cells are ~$150 each. 12v = $600 24v = $1200

MPP all in one 12v 1kw $400 - 40a MPPT - 800w solar - 20a AC charger
growatt 24v 3kw - ~$700 - 80a mppt 150v max (30v min) - 6000w solar - 50a AC charger

BMS ~$100

Throw in another $100 for an enclosure/wires etc

I am buying components to do it right now and expect to spend around $500-600USD for a 1260wh (105ah) battery box that will only handle DC internally ie. no inverter or charging components inside. If you are new to this stuff it is fairly involved to research how to do it right/safely and figure out which components to use. Unless you want to learn and treat it as a fun project I would just go with a pre made unit.

This is a nice set up but it's a little too big for what I would like. I'm really looking for something that I could make that would be the same size as a blue Eddie Box.
I understand this goal. I think its tough to achieve the compactness of a pre-built power station with a DIY solution. IMO this is one of the main advantages of pre-built compared to DIY, compactness/small footprint and attractive packaging.

The advantages of the DIY route are flexibility, features, and (sometimes) cost.

The advantages of the DIY route are flexibility, features, and (sometimes) cost.
To me its performance per $. the 12v option I listed gives you 100ah 1000w inverter with solar charging and grid charging capacities far exceed the commercial products for half the price of what a commercial unit runs.

However the compact size and packageing of a comercial unit is hard to beat.

I suppose that depends on which bluetti your talking about

100ah LFP cells are ~$150 each. 12v = $600 24v = $1200

MPP all in one 12v 1kw $400 - 40a MPPT - 800w solar - 20a AC charger
growatt 24v 3kw - ~$700 - 80a mppt 150v max (30v min) - 6000w solar - 50a AC charger

BMS ~$100

Throw in another $100 for an enclosure/wires etc
I have 4 100ah cells in transit for $178 delivered.

I don't think any Bluetti specs out to the rest of your equipment. So not a good comparison. I'll post my small, capable, build when complete

I don't think any Bluetti specs out to the rest of your equipment. So not a good comparison. I'll post my small, capable, build when complete
I suppose that depends on what your going to compare to. most refer to the inverter size.
Bluetti makes both a 1kw version and a 2kw version.

The battery is as big or as small as you want to build it. The 2kw version is~100ah give or take. Useing all-in-on, it packages all the stuff needed , SCC, inverter, and grid charger all in one box already for a price that is a fraction of the cost with better charging specs.

So yes I do think its a great comparison. And the DIY version beats it hands down on performance.

Were the commercial units have an advantage is portability and compactness. I suppose you have to determine if those 2 factors are worth the double the price or more that the commercial units cost.

Reliablity and warranty are really a non-starter for comparison as there are plenty of threads on the forums with people unhappy with their Bluetti units and the poor support they have received.

I suppose that depends on what your going to compare to. most refer to the inverter size.
Bluetti makes both a 1kw version and a 2kw version.

The battery is as big or as small as you want to build it. The 2kw version is~100ah give or take. Useing all-in-on, it packages all the stuff needed , SCC, inverter, and grid charger all in one box already for a price that is a fraction of the cost with better charging specs.

So yes I do think its a great comparison. And the DIY version beats it hands down on performance.

Were the commercial units have an advantage is portability and compactness. I suppose you have to determine if those 2 factors are worth the double the price or more that the commercial units cost.

Reliablity and warranty are really a non-starter for comparison as there are plenty of threads on the forums with people unhappy with their Bluetti units and the poor support they have received.

I understand the concept. But you missed my point. Those commercial solar gens do not have parts of the spec anywhere near to the stuff you listed above. Case in point, the perfect vid

Hello, I just joined this forum but I just wanted to chime in here because I was recently also in the same dilemma - build a DIY generator or just buy an all-in-one system.

After starting my project and buying nearly all the parts, I ended up stopping the project and getting the Blue Etti 240. The main reason was my DIY generator would not fit in the space factor I needed, and also because I don't trust my skill to properly wire up all the safety features in a properly built Solar Generator.

Finally, the nail in the coffin was this video. Hope this helps!

Hello, I just joined this forum but I just wanted to chime in here because I was recently also in the same dilemma - build a DIY generator or just buy an all-in-one system.

After starting my project and buying nearly all the parts, I ended up stopping the project and getting the Blue Etti 240. The main reason was my DIY generator would not fit in the space factor I needed, and also because I don't trust my skill to properly wire up all the safety features in a properly built Solar Generator.

Finally, the nail in the coffin was this video. Hope this helps!

Don worry. Hang out learn some stuff, try some stuff. You will get there

Back