diy solar

diy solar

How much do I need to worry about charge/discharge rates on battery bank?

blutow

Solar Enthusiast
new forum member, first post. Great site, lots of good info here.

I'm working on the system design for a van conversion and debating battery choice. My current plan is:
multiplus 12/3000 inverter charger
400-600 watts solar (still figuring out what I can fit on roof along with AC and fan)
50A mppt solar charger
1 or 2 orion B2B 30A chargers (my van has a 250a alternator, so I figured I might go with 60a charging, but I still need to confirm it won't be problem for alternator)

400Ah battery bank. Was looking at Battleborn 100Ah x 4, SOK 206Ah x2, or SOK 100Ah x 4

The SOK 206's look pretty good and I like the idea of just having 2 batteries to minimize cables and complexity.

My concern is that it looks like the 206Ah can only draw 100A continuous (200A total for both batteries) and can only charge 40-50A continous (80-100A total) based on the specs. I've seen posts where they claim it can be higher on both, but those are the numbers on their specs and I'm inclined to go with them.

I figure the 200A output is probably fine (but borderline) since the inverter is only rated at 2400 continous and I wouldn't be pushing those kind of AC watts for extened periods and my DC loads shouldn't ever be too much.

I'm more concerned about the charging limit recommendations of 80-100 on the SOK battery bank. I think the inverter can charge 120A continous from shore power and I could also pushing 30A+ from solar at the same time. Theorectically, the engine could also be running at the same time delivering additional Amps from the alternator (B2B), but that wouldn't be an intentional mode. The inverter charger alone is beyond the recommended and max charging limits for the SOK. Would the batteries accept an extended 150-200A charge without any significant problems? Would the BMS adjust by cycling on and off or something or would the cells potentially be damaged or might it cause a failure of some kind?

I'm thinking it would be better to just go with 4 100Ah batteries instead of 2 206's just to have some buffer for charge/discharge amps. For the SOK 100's, it's not that much more $, but doubling the number of batteries just makes install harder and more big cables and failure points. The way their posts are oriented also makes cabling more then 2 of them in parallel a bit wonkey for how I'll need to mount them (end to end).

So, any thoughts on going with the 4 smaller batteries vs. the 2 bigger ones? Am I over thinking the charge/discharge issue or is this a valid concern based on the system I am planing?

Welcome the forum.

Charges and discharges must be within both cell and BMS limits.

Multiple batteries also require that they be connected with best practices. See "Wiring" in link #2 in my signature.

Welcome the forum.

Charges and discharges must be within both cell and BMS limits.

Multiple batteries also require that they be connected with best practices. See "Wiring" in link #2 in my signature.
Thanks. I'm somewhat knowledgeable on wiring, but that looks like a really good resource and I'll spend some time reviewing.

On the charge/discharge limits, could you provide additional explanation on the "why" it's a problem? If I charge at 150A to a battery bank spec'd for 100A max continous, what happens? Safety issue? BMS shutdown prevents it? Reduced cell life?

Part of why I ask is that I've seen posts saying the 50A continuous is a recommended max, but going higher isn't going to cause any big problem, it's just not optimal and would reduce cell life. If I push 70A to a battery that recommends 50A and and it just reduces the cell life, how dramatic is that damage?

I'll probably go the route of at least 3 batteries to make sure I can get into the 120A+ range with no problem, but I am still curious what the fallout of overcharing would be. If doing it regularly over several years reduced battery life by 5%, I'd be "meh" and probably wouldn't care. On the other hand, any potential safety issues would be a show stopper.

You can connect batteries in parallel by running equal cable lengths to bus bars, if that makes it easier to install more batteries.

The slower the charge rate the longer the battery life, but also temperature is factor when considering an acceptable charge rate. Sorry I don't know where to point you for specifics.

Exceeding cell specifications reduces performance and life. It's impossible to say to what degree, but it can be significant. While not related to the inquiry, events like accidental charging to over 4.2V and charging below freezing have catastrophic outcomes. Any decision to exceed cell/BMS limits may carry severe risk. The largest risk would seem to be violating the criteria that may void the warranty on expensive batteries. SOK has chimed in that their battery limits are BMS based, not cell based.

Exceeding BMS specifications will cause shutdown.

new forum member, first post. Great site, lots of good info here.

I'm working on the system design for a van conversion and debating battery choice. My current plan is:
multiplus 12/3000 inverter charger
400-600 watts solar (still figuring out what I can fit on roof along with AC and fan)
50A mppt solar charger
1 or 2 orion B2B 30A chargers (my van has a 250a alternator, so I figured I might go with 60a charging, but I still need to confirm it won't be problem for alternator)

400Ah battery bank. Was looking at Battleborn 100Ah x 4, SOK 206Ah x2, or SOK 100Ah x 4

The SOK 206's look pretty good and I like the idea of just having 2 batteries to minimize cables and complexity.

My concern is that it looks like the 206Ah can only draw 100A continuous (200A total for both batteries) and can only charge 40-50A continous (80-100A total) based on the specs. I've seen posts where they claim it can be higher on both, but those are the numbers on their specs and I'm inclined to go with them.
I've had the same concern. I noticed the 206A SOK has the same charge/discharge limits as the 100A. The company has told me that both batteries use the same BMS, which is limited to those currents, and I would think any excessive charge/discharge would be cutoff by the BMS.

I have a 2000Watt inverter which is of marginal use to me if the discharge rate is limited to 1000-1200 watts continuous. So while I'd love to purchase the 206AH battery, it does not seem to be a fit... not unless I purchase TWO.

I've had the same concern. I noticed the 206A SOK has the same charge/discharge limits as the 100A. The company has told me that both batteries use the same BMS, which is limited to those currents, and I would think any excessive charge/discharge would be cutoff by the BMS.

I have a 2000Watt inverter which is of marginal use to me if the discharge rate is limited to 1000-1200 watts continuous. So while I'd love to purchase the 206AH battery, it does not seem to be a fit... not unless I purchase TWO.

Welcome to LFP.

For what it's worth, I decided to jump off the deep end and build my own batteries. I was going to spend about $3k on 3 of the SOK 206 batteries and found that I could spend ~ $2.5k on a DIY bank with almost 2x the capacity. It certainly adds risk, no warranty, and it's a bunch of learning and labor, but it seems like it will be a fun project. Another upside to this approach is that I'm going with 4 120A BMS's, so I'll be well under the rated charge/discharge ratings of the BMS's and cells. From what I've read, you really don't want to be continuously pushing these BMS's near their rated capacity if you want them to last.

You might spend a little time in the DIY lifepo section of these forums Even if you don't want to build your own batteries, it's a great resource to understand how these batteries tick and some of the tradeoffs and challenges. I also found the user manual from overkill solar to be a very good overview of what is required to go the DIY route. Link below.

For what it's worth, I decided to jump off the deep end and build my own batteries. I was going to spend about $3k on 3 of the SOK 206 batteries and found that I could spend ~ $2.5k on a DIY bank with almost 2x the capacity. It certainly adds risk, no warranty, and it's a bunch of learning and labor, but it seems like it will be a fun project. Another upside to this approach is that I'm going with 4 120A BMS's, so I'll be well under the rated charge/discharge ratings of the BMS's and cells. From what I've read, you really don't want to be continuously pushing these BMS's near their rated capacity if you want them to last.

You might spend a little time in the DIY lifepo section of these forums Even if you don't want to build your own batteries, it's a great resource to understand how these batteries tick and some of the tradeoffs and challenges. I also found the user manual from overkill solar to be a very good overview of what is required to go the DIY route. Link below.

Thanks. I've been contemplating a DIY solution...but at the moment don't have the courage to try... still your link might change my mind.

Back