diy solar

diy solar

How much does the Chinese resellers get the grade B cells

ramiws

Hi,

Like if the new grade A EVE 280ah cell cost 175usd. How much EVE is selling the grade B cells to the alibaba resellers? I heard that they group buy together from EVE. But how much % of produce cells matches the A grade specs and how many end up as B. And for how much those Bs gets sold? Anyone has any rough estimate?

Ive read they auction them.. as for a % matching I doubt your going to find any true consistency to why and how they compare to grade A they can fail for multiple resons some of which may not even effect performance, especially in solar low c applications.

Chriss form 18650 said they are sold for 1/3 the price of EV grade so I suppose that's why literally everyone on alibaba is selling them and doctoring the qr code or other sneaky things.

but if eve tested the cells and failed, the reason of failure must be in the recored. specially when put to auction, the reason why they got classified as B must have been stated, right?

I doubt they have time to mess around, they are more concerned with an OEM like BMW getting mad at the cells. Chinese EV market is cut-throat most car / cell companies don't even make money just are lucky to break even. I think only BYD makes a small profit, companies like NEO loose money. So to now try to re-classify failed QC cells would just be a big loss/time waster...

I think the cells that fail; they could basically could careless, I suppose they make more money auctioning the cells off then recycling them (which btw is what the claim and we all know is BS, same is true for catl, byd, rept, and the others).

So yeah, in the grand scheme of things the less than 1% of failed cells they could care less what happens to them its not there main market anyway.

but if eve tested the cells and failed, the reason of failure must be in the recored. specially when put to auction, the reason why they got classified as B must have been stated, right?
When you buy a factory second pair of levis at a discount store do they include documentation as to why they are $12 instead of $60?

All that documenting and keeping track of each failed cell costs money. They likely just get yanked off whatever test bed they fail for whatever reason and get piled up on crates to be auctioned, with the ones that fail catastrophically or dangerously going right back to be recycled.

Is it really so that only 1% of cells fail the requirements? I feel it is more than that given that the secondary market is not small.

Well a bus uses like a 155 of these cells so 100 busses would take 155,000 cells I think eve makes these in batches of 10,000 at a time so yeah probably 1-3% failure rate. But I'm just pulling these numbers out of thin air haha...who knows.

hahahaha... such Postulation, Theorization & Conjecture hahahaha... Lack of Daily Soap Opera's to watch and bored gullible minds let loose.

FACTiods: Companies like CATL, EVE etc sell A Grade with reports etc BUT in Minimum Quantities of 5,000 Pieces.
Blue LFP Prismatics are not used in production EV Packs ! EV being a proper Car/Truck or even Bus. See BYD EV Packs and other companies' CTP Packs which use LFP, most are Pouch or Cylindrical (if structural) and the pouch types are often Long & Narrow and only 2cm thick.

EV Battery Packs from pretty much every single EV producers have been torn down and videos are available. The LFP Packs as used by BYD, Tesla etc have also been done... You NEVER See Blue Prismatics !

FYI: Companies will sell Un-Qualified cells which do not make Grade as B / Bulk cells as long as they work and meet basic qualifiers. Those that do not are indeed recycled, CATL & EVE both have On-Site recycling facilities within the factory compounds, other companies are doing similar where teh recover & reuse the materials. Many Manufacturers are also involved in external recycling concerns around the world... ie CATL's German Factory (now in production) has a Recycling Faciltiy within to take defective packs & used packs in for recycling of the materials. Some are partnering with recyclers like LiCycle, Redwood (Panasonic/Tesla/SK)... Even NorthVolt EU incorporates Recycling facilities within their factories.

Safe Bet most if not all of the commenters here don't even know that the Battery Plants being built within the US also all have recycling either on-site or with a partnered company within the safe geo-location... and YES SK, Panasonic and the others are also producing "dud" cells some of which go to brokers & resold while those that do not make grade go to recycle/recovery...

I know some will want to rant & rave and go off... go for it and expose yourselves, it's fun to watch people toss themselves under the bus. Freak out over my comments if you want I won't respond to "stoopid", there is no point.

REMEMBER ! "what side of this are you on"
when-youre-arguing-with-a-fool-make-sure-he-isnt-doing-the-same-thing-quote-1[1].jpg

Blue LFP Prismatics are not used in production EV Packs !
So what is the main use case for them? who is buying the grade A in the tens of thousands?

Well a bus uses like a 155 of these cells so 100 busses would take 155,000 cells I think eve makes these in batches of 10,000 at a time so yeah probably 1-3% failure rate. But I'm just pulling these numbers out of thin air haha...who knows.
Thank you for referencing your source of information and where you pulling it from haha

Ive read that bmw and volkswagon use prismatics but mainly assumed they were used in some of the many electric vehicles sold outside of the north american market... Shame on me I guess for not being the condoscending all knowing one here..

Back