diy solar

diy solar

How much is too much.

Radtech

Looking at this kit for my off grid cabin. Currently I use a 3500 watt. generator to power the cabin that is wired 120v. Several outlets and LED lighting. Cabin is weekends only usually and maybe a week or two throughout the year. May install a small fridge. Do occasionally run small power tools and vacuum/shop vac and kitchen appliances- mixer, toaster
Most people say go big but is this too big and overkill?
Thanks for all advice

Loads define whether any supply is big enough. A complication with solar power is supply can be highly variable due to whether you are getting sun or not. Your gas generator will always deliver at it's ratings so long as you give it gas. The solar panels deliver less than their rating most of the day.

Since solar is so variable you must take advantage of having enough over your daily loading to charge up storage such as batteries. The batteries supply your loads when there is no solar. Once they are discharged the are just another load your solar sees.

So add up all possible loads first. Being as your Cabin is not used every day you do have the advantage of regaining charge in your batteries while you are away. The disadvantage is lithium batteries should not be charged in freezing conditions.

You always need more than you think and you will always want more. Is the property worth investing in? Consider resale, weather, solar exposure, expansion capacity in addition to loads. I just replaced my propane refrigerator and range for electric since I have excess power. Everyone has a different situation,

Loads define whether any supply is big enough. A complication with solar power is supply can be highly variable due to whether you are getting sun or not. Your gas generator will always deliver at it's ratings so long as you give it gas. The solar panels deliver less than their rating most of the day.

Since solar is so variable you must take advantage of having enough over your daily loading to charge up storage such as batteries. The batteries supply your loads when there is no solar. Once they are discharged the are just another load your solar sees.

So add up all possible loads first. Being as your Cabin is not used every day you do have the advantage of regaining charge in your batteries while you are away. The disadvantage is lithium batteries should not be charged in freezing conditions.
I plan on disconnecting the inverter and batteries in the winter a taking them to my home where they will not but in freezing temps.

You always need more than you think and you will always want more. Is the property worth investing in? Consider resale, weather, solar exposure, expansion capacity in addition to loads. I just replaced my propane refrigerator and range for electric since I have excess power. Everyone has a different situation,
So your saying this system is worth the money for my needs with some expansion. I don’t see doing much more we go there to get away from the world. But it is nice to have some of the amenities we are accustomed too.

Personally, I'd go 3000w (or higher) / 48v instead of 2400w / 24v. You'll find that solar input is quite limited at 24v compared to 48v as in 2500w max compared to 5000w max for the same charge controller.

I'd gently suggest you avoid the kit and buy individual equipment such as this....
- All in one (Solar, Inverter, UPS, Grid-assist-input/Generator input) - MPP Solar 3048LV - http://usamppsolar.com/product/pip-3048lv-mk/
OR higher - 5000w, 6000w or EG4 or Growatt (not pushing MPP Solar specifically)
- Used panels from ebay Santan Solar such as - https://www.ebay.com/itm/264926640027
- One of these 5kwh batteries that @Will just went over in this youtube -

To give you a context, I put one f these MPP Solar 3048LV in our trailer. The mini-split runs around 700w on/off but can go as high as 1000w. The hot-water goes 700w on/off. So when we do breakfast, we can run an 800w hot plate and 1 other thing. If we try to do hot plate + toaster + k-cup we overload. Or toaster, k-cup + microwave we overload. And that's just on 3000w. It's OK for a trailer to pay attention and serialize but a cabin is likely bigger and tools + your k-cup + x will likely blow right by 2400w :)

Last edited:
Personally, I go 3000w (or higher) / 48v instead of 2400w / 24v. You'll find that solar input is quite limited at 24v compared to 48v as in 2500w max compared to 5000w max for the same charge controller.

I'd gently suggest you avoid the kit and by individual equipment such as this....
- All in one (Solar, Inverter, UPS, Grid-assist-input/Generator input) - MPP Solar 3048LV - http://usamppsolar.com/product/pip-3048lv-mk/
OR higher - 5000w, 6000w or EG4 or Growatt (not pushing MPP Solar specifically)
- Used panels from ebay Santan Solar such as - https://www.ebay.com/itm/264926640027
- One of these 5kwh batteries that @Will just went over in this youtube -

To give you a context, I put one f these MPP Solar 3048LV in our trailer. The mini-split runs around 700w on/off but can go as high as 1000w. The hot-water goes 700w on/off. So when we do breakfast, we can run an 800w hot plate and 1 other thing. If we try to do hot plate + toaster + k-cup we overload. Or toaster, k-cup + microwave we overload. And that's just on 3000w. It's OK for a trailer to pay attention and serialize but a cabin is likely bigger and tools + your k-cup + x will likely blow right by 2400w :)
Thanks for the advice.

You may want to ask them how they handle issues and warranty and if you will get what they advertise. Are they authorized dealer for MPP Solar?
See post #17 and later.

Overpriced for what you are getting. I calculated I can put something together more substantial for a thousand less than what's quoted as the sales price. Most likely they are soaking you for panel shipping.

Buy locally, and skip the shipping charges. Buy batteries locally at Costco. Buy your panels off Craigslist. Only buy your electronics online, which will be far cheaper to ship.

Three 290W solar panels, 75$each, 225$ total on Craigslist, with local pickup
Four 6V Costco golf-cart batteries 99each so 400$ plus core and tax
Epever 50A tracer 5420AN charge controller 270$ on Ebay
Samlex 2000W 24V sine-wave inverter 650$ on Ebay
Wiring, connectors, breakers, spit, ect ~250$ You can buy end of roll remnants at HomeDepot cheap. Wire the panels 3S1P to save on copper wire from the array to the controller.
Total ~1800$

Based on my own experience, I'd say powering an inverter 24/7 with smaller refrigerator in the 17-18cu ft range will need between 1.5-2.5kWh of power per day, depending on the ambient temperature. The system I sketched out will accomplish that. More with a rotating ground mount. Get Epever's 60A controller, and you expand the solar up to six panels. Here's a pic of my first-generation ground mount designed to hold three 300W panels.

Attachments

• solar mount front view.jpg
    solar mount front view.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 8
Back