diy solar

diy solar

How much panel power can an Epever 30 amp charge controller handle....getting mixed info.

The latest spec sheet does remove some ambiguity

Probably take some time to replace all those earlier confusing spreadsheets.

That's not the table that lists max panel wattage per unit.
This one is, from up-thread courtesy @perpetual :

epever-an-series-jpg.81734

I have the Xtra 3210AN with 2@215W 2S. Mid-winter here the most I see out of it for 12V charging is about 14A @13.8. I think that works out to 193W. The mppt does a very good job with outputting what it can get from the flat-mount panels and low sun. I get full voltage as soon as the panels see sunlight, but current doesn't really start generating till later in the day. Again, flat-mount. Best performance is going to be mid-summer obviously.

As mentioned, you can over-panel to get the watts input you need, just don't exceed the maximum voltage - that will burn out the controller. Watch out for low-temp voltage bump.

Did OP get their query resolved??

That's not the table that lists max panel wattage per unit.
I can not find any such lists on the official Epever site.
Quotes regarding max panel wattage seem only to be from resellers.

Subjective panel wattage is just that - subjective!
You can over panel, in parallel to keep the Voc below the limit, to whatever if you can ensure the demand is under the wattage limit.(edit:eek:f the CC)

Last edited:
I can not find any such lists on the official Epever site.
Quotes regarding max panel wattage seem only to be from resellers.

Subjective panel wattage is just that - subjective!
You can over panel, in parallel to keep the Voc below the limit, to whatever if you can ensure the demand is under the wattage limit.(edit:eek:f the CC)

It appears in the controller installation manual.

For the Tracer Xtra:
Under downloads: https://www.epever.com/product/xtra-10-40a-mppt-charge-controller/
Section 2 Page 9 under MAXIMUM PV ARRAY POWER

For the Tracer AN (old style):
Under Downloads, MANUAL: https://www.epever.com/product/tracer-an-10-40a-mppt-charge-controller/
Same section and page as above.

In fact, as near as I can tell, these controllers work the same, the Xtra has a better and easier to use display, a nice cover over the connecting terminals, and a sleeker more modern housing. They were so close in price I went with the newer model. I've been really happy with it.

After building my lifepo pack I realized you cannot set the Xtra for lithium or 'user' settings without the RS485 cable and the computer setup program. I ordered out the cable and downloaded the program to my SurfacePro and it is way super slick and easy to use. I set up two charge profiles - one for regular daily use as for traveling, and the other with lower settings for storage. I no longer need to plug the coach into shorepower - the solar panels keep it charged perfectly. It takes just connecting the cable, and mere seconds to read the settings or update them. And the app has a nice data logging feature, as well as all system data points - PV volts and amps, battery volts and amps, charge mode whether boost or float, and etc. I've messed with it enough to figure it all out and it's very slick. I was trying to justify the cost of a Victron - their stuff is just top-tier, but this is a nice runner-up.

I actually have one of each - also a 10A mppt Tracer AN that gets utilized for my suitcase-portable panels. If we're dry-camping I can place those out and connect them to the second controller. They work really well together. While you can program user settings with the input buttons on the old AN model, it's way too complicated for me to figure out. But it uses the same cable and program as the newer model and super easy to set with the same or different settings. I just leave my higher-charging parameters loaded in the AN, as we would only use it while away.

Interesting I can can get nearly the same power from the 160W poly panels pointed at the morning sun, as I can can get from the 430W mono array mounted flat on the roof. Series PV wiring means less voltage drop to the controllers.

They are easy access from the step well of the coach. It was easy to bring the PV connect wires from the roof down the refer chimney. The main battery connect buses are under the step well.

Last edited:
I have the 30amp version of this controller on my travel trailer I am running about 96v VOC With 2 sunpower 225w panels. I am under 100v I haven't had any issues but The 92 V at 25c is what concerns me. Should I rethink my set up?

Chris

Assuming you have less than 48V battery system…

Can you easily put your panels in parallel?
its Just 12v I would prefer to keep them series but I can try putting them in parallel. Do you think I'm pushing the limit too much in series?

Do you think I'm pushing the limit too much in series?
96Voc only takes a few deg below 25C (77F) to produce 100+ Voc.

How often would it get cold (below 60F as a guess) and how attached are you to your SCC?

If your panels are easily wired in parallel, I thing investing $15 in a pair of Y cables is a no brainier.

They were so close in price I went with the newer model. I've been really happy with it.
Exactly
realized you cannot set the Xtra for lithium or 'user' settings without the RS485 cable and the computer setup program
What about Bluetooth? Will the prog ‘user?’
I have the 30amp version of this controller on my travel trailer I am running about 96v VOC With 2 sunpower 225w panels. I am under 100v I haven't had any issues but The 92 V at 25c is what concerns me. Should I rethink my set up?

Chris
They make a 150VOC series. What is your model number? 3210 or 3215? They may not even make a 3215AN.

Either way your 92V on a 100V unit is too close imho. I’d buy a 150V tolerant unit

96Voc only takes a few deg below 25C (77F) to produce 100+ Voc.

How often would it get cold (below 60F as a guess) and how attached are you to your SCC?

If your panels are easily wired in parallel, I thing investing $15 in a pair of Y cables is a no brainier.
I am in AZ so it doesn't get super cold here during the day. I'm not against selling my controller and buying a different one. Do you think it would perform better if I put them in parallel?

Do you think it would perform better if I put them in parallel?
I suspect it would perform exactly the same but without risk of over voting your SCC.
By “exact” I meant you would likely not notice or be able to quantify and possible production difference. Since the array voltage is much closer to battery voltage, it may actually perform better. (Let us know!)

So what does the Max PV Array power mean and why is it even there if the Rated Charge Power is what they go by? Eperver sheet showed 500 to 1000W Panel input your sheet shows 580W....any wonder people get confused then the other says 390 ....big difference and all I wanted to know was which was correct?
If your doing led acid batteries, you could see 14.6v x 30a = 438watts. A bit higher with a good equalize charge.

If you haven't bought it yet, I would not go EPEVER. Consider a victron SCC. A bit pricer but a much better product from my experience.

Exactly

What about Bluetooth? Will the prog ‘user?’

They make a 150VOC series. What is your model number? 3210 or 3215? They may not even make a 3215AN.

Either way your 92V on a 100V unit is too close imho. I’d buy a 150V tolerant unit
Its the 3210an. I might go with the 150v ver. Or just buy the y and run them in parallel.

I got a good deal on the sunpower 225w pannals but they have a high VOC 48.5 but they fit the Location. And seem to work well. I am thinking about getting some bigger ones for the house.

What could be easier or cheaper than giving this a go? And i'd be wildly surprised if this does not work as well or better.$7.99
True. But for future expansion a 40A 150VOC makes sense for not a lot of money difference and distance from panels is less of a concern

I ran branched parallel up to 600W but I did get better early and late performance when I went series.

But if the system is going to stay small like that for a time for eight bucks why not?

True. But for future expansion a 40A 150VOC makes sense for not a lot of money difference and distance from panels is less of a concern

I ran branched parallel up to 600W but I did get better early and late performance when I went series.

But if the system is going to stay small like that for a time for eight bucks why not?
I am going to try it I might be better off running parallel due to shading when I'm camping in the mountains. I do agree down the road I might change the SCC out for Victron equipment. Is it better early mornimg and later evening due to it reaching charging voltage faster?

Is there a rule of thumb on how far away from the Max PV voltage you should stay?

Back