diy solar

diy solar

How much power does the charge controller itself use?

Skippijo

Hello solar peeps.

Epever xtra 40A charge controller

Two 100w flexible panels on the roof of my van. 40amp lifepo.
They're currently in parallel but I will be switching up to 24 v series soon.
All my van electric needs are 12v, so I have a 24/12 output unit arriving soon.

I'm in the UK and yes, I wish there was a mobile vertical wind turbine that's really easy to put out when I park instead. It's a bit hazardous by the roadside though. Too much attention too. The UK is not at all can dweller friendly...unless you're in a known area.

Anyway, I'm barely getting enough power to run a smartphone and a tiny led camping lamp.
It's a bit grim. The angle is never quite rightly and I'm doing a lot of parking in unsuitable places for the direction.

I may have powered up the solar incorrect, I thought I added the battery first, but it was run down badly too, so I think it's all go e a bit wonky.

Anyway, no possibility of charging batteries today so I'll have to wait till the voltage rises.

My burning power question is, how much does my fancy mppt contrôler use?
Would it be better to assume I'm not going to be likely to need it until July and just leave it out for a few weeks until I get the 24 volt system set up?

16550242067712894689010168808795.jpg 16550242548723600171427704584145.jpg
???

Hello solar peeps.

Epever xtra 40A charge controller

Two 100w flexible panels on the roof of my van. 40amp lifepo.

I'm in the UK and yes, I wish there was a mobile vertical wind turbine that's really easy to put out when I park instead. It's a bit hazardous by the roadside though. Too much attention too. The UK is not at all can dweller friendly...unless you're in a known area.

Anyway, I'm barely getting enough power to run a smartphone and a tiny led camping lamp.
It's a bit grim. The angle is never quite rightly and I'm doing a lot of parking in unsuitable places for the direction.

I may have powered up the solar incorrect, I thought I added the battery first, but it was run down badly too, so I think it's all go e a bit wonky.

Anyway, no possibility of charging batteries today so I'll have to wait till the voltage rises.

My burning power question is, how much does my fancy mppt contrôler use?
Would it be better to assume I'm not going to be likely to need it until July and just leave it out for a few weeks until I get the 24 volt system set up?

View attachment 98251 View attachment 98252
???
You need to test your panels the cheaper flexible ones are notorious for being below specs in output and generally they have a shorter lifespan. You should investigate getting a dc to dc charger that would be very helpful in your situation.

The consumption should be in the technical specifications section of the Epever.

I have an Epever Dual Battery controller. DR3210

That states:

Self Consumption DR3210N
26mA/12V; 15mA/24V
19mA/12V; 10mA/24V
(Low power mode)

Depending on your exact model, see the label on the top panel or on the packaging, yours will consume from 14mA/12V to 35mA/12V
(page 36 of the Xtra manual if yours is the same) https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1549777/Epever-Xtra-N-Series.html?page=39#manual

Amps x Volts =Watts

So at 12V 10mA is 0.12W
at 24V 10mA is 0.24W
48V 10mA is 0.48W

You should investigate getting a dc to dc charger
Absolutely. Little point driving around a huge ICE powered generator and not tapping it for some amps.
Once your batteries are charged using solar to replace your daily use is feasible. Even under the gloomy skies of Blighty.

The Sterling units seem to be the most reliable from what people around me have experienced.

There is no point is having a 24volt battery system for modest power use with 12v electrics. The solar controller will accept higher input volts so your panels could be connected in series.
It's not too clear what issues you are having, but I suspect poor output from the flexible panels.
It's also not clear why a 24 to 12 converter is needed.
Perhaps you could provide more details of the problems you are having? 40Ah of batteries is enough for modest led lighting and phone charging but little else.

Mike

at 12V 10mA is 0.12W
There is no point is having a 24volt battery system for modest power use with 12v electrics.
My epever when I measured the differential a couple times was 0.09 to 0.12W so that drain isn’t a big deal. Basically processor heat loss I’d guess

That flex panel should be tested with vom and if good- sold. A couple rigid panels would be roof mountable or hinges applied for manual deployment. You should be able to do much more than what you report- I ran only 200W of panels to 12V a couple years and while a bit ‘fragile’ on cloudy days it worked.
As said above that offers no advantage to you: none. Send that equipment away and buy more panels imho. You are unlikely to produce the amount of power on the van that a 24V system says it would be able to support putting out. So. Keep it simple.

I currently run a 1000W AIO but can quickly plug in a 2000W Reliable pure sine inverter and run that on 12V no problem. I’m not saying you could with merely one battery but I’m just saying 12V will do 2kW no probs.

Back