diy solar

diy solar

How to add shore power to classic 400 watt w/ alt charging plan?

jbird

Having after thoughts about adding a converter/ charger to my system plans for my van. I'm following the classic 400 watt w/ alternator charging plan pretty closely.

the main components in my system look like this currently..

Renogy dcc50s
420w solar (2 - 210w newpowa wired parallel)
Giandel 2200w inverter
200ah lithium batteries

I have the dcc50s and inverter already, and panels are on order. Likely going with battle born for batteries.

What options do I have to add shore charging to this system? I've read some other threads here that seems like it's possible to add a stand alone converter. As a newbie it's took me a while to digest setting up this system and haven't found anything that clearly answers this for me.. at least along side the dcc50s. I was looking at the progressive dynamic converters as an option. I've seen some members mention this could be added in right to the battery or bus bar? If that's the case I'm just not understanding how the the solar charging would be over ridden if the converter is plugged in.. or maybe it doesn't matter.

I'm not against returning the inverter for a combo inverter/charger, but it seems adding in a stand alone converter to what I already have would be more budget friendly. FWIW, I don't plan on plugging in very often, if at all.. just thinking more about it I think I would rather add it now while doing the work vs find out later that I wish I did.

Any guidance is appreciated on this, or any other thoughts on my system! It's really been helpful lurking here and binging on Will's resources the last few months!

I would want to install an Automatic Transfer Switch. Will has a good video on this.

The video shows a great deal of info and should give you some insight into how, why, and where to start.

If all you want is the ability to charge the batteries once in a while, a decent battery charger is all you really need. You can keep using the system while the charger is running.

I would want to install an Automatic Transfer Switch. Will has a good video on this.

The video shows a great deal of info and should give you some insight into how, why, and where to start.
Thanks for this. I also watched a few other videos on transfer switches but I feel it may be more involved than what I'm looking for.

If all you want is the ability to charge the batteries once in a while, a decent battery charger is all you really need. You can keep using the system while the charger is running.
Thanks. I guess my concern is how is the logic of the source power managed when you add in charging from the grid to my system. The DCC50s handles the decision between solar or alternator.. but if I add something like a progressive dynamics charger and have that plugged in at the same time the DCC50s is pulling solar what happens? Does it matter that both are pushing a charge to the batteries at the same time?

You just need to make sure the charge sources all together don't exceed the capabilities of your batteries. ( although I don't see why you would be charging from the alternator and the grid at the same time. And if this is for emergencies, I would assume the panels aren't getting sun.)

Correct, not worried about alternator and shore power at the same time.. although I guess there's potential to have vehicle running while plugged in. The shore power option could be for emergency use but I see it more for convenience. There may be times I have the option to plug in and on these occasions it could be nice to be more liberal with usage... so there could be potential to be plugged in and have decent sun.

If I went with the battleborns they are rated up to 50amps charging per battery.. and I'd be planning 2 so make it 100. The DCC50s maxes out at 25amps from either solar or alternator with both connected. So if I went with a 60amp grid charger.. the total charging sources (25+60) would be 85amps and wouldn't exceed the 100amp capability of my battery bank. Is that what you are saying? and then it's as easy as connecting the charger in line to the batt bank/ bus bars?

Cool. Appreciate the help. I'm also considering adding a shutoff for my panels into the DCC50s to boost the alternator charging to 50amp (when both are inputted it limits charge to 25amp each). So I guess to be careful I should possible limit a grid charger to 50amp just in case the vehicle was started when connected.. and then I guess a shut off is another option to manage the charging capacity threshold too. I've had some back and forth with BattleBorn too.. hoping a phone call helps finalize this. Thanks again!

Out of curiosity, did you ever execute on this idea, jbird? I find myself in the exact same situation (building a house battery system based on Will's 400W w/Alternator Charging design) and am looking for a more simple solution than an Automatic Transfer Switch. The Progressive Dynamics charger seems like an interesting idea, although I share your confusion regarding its affects on the Renogy DCC50s. How did you end up moving forward?

Back