diy solar

diy solar

How to adjust the Growatt SPF5000ES to allow the batteries to take the full load during the night

Spanish Flyer

Dear friends,

I have the Growatt SPF5000ES and 7 batteries (Pylontech 6 x US3000C and 1 x US5000) amongst other elements, including 56 solar panels, but the issue I want to solve is related to the Growatt inverter and the 7 Pylontech batteries connected to it.

From 6 PM in the evening to 11 AM next day I have it configured in such a way that only the batteries take all the load; the problem I have found is that even when the load is not much ( between 600 and 700W), the batteries will feed only about 350W and the rest will come from the grid. I have more than enough battery power to deal with the full load, but for some reason they only deliver about 50% and the fact is that when at eleven am the solar panels come in together with some grid power (depending on the weather), my batteries have only dropped to 60-70% SOC (state of charge)....

My guess is that some setting on the SPF5000ES needs to be corrected so the batteries deliver enough to handle the full load during that period. Problem is that reading through the manual I see no setting related to the battery máximum amps that can be delivered in a constant basis, without the aid of the external grid....
By the way, when I have the battery selected, the screen on the inverter only shows the battery ===>the Growatt===>the house...

Any ideas??

Best regards

Hi boenjames,
I have tried SBU and SOL but I keep getting grid usage between 200 and 400W, while the battery takes care of the rest (200-400W) ; that is why I believe that I have some setting on the Growatt limiting the battery feed...

Hi boenjames,
I have tried SBU and SOL but I keep getting grid usage between 200 and 400W, while the battery takes care of the rest (200-400W) ; that is why I believe that I have some setting on the Growatt limiting the battery feed...
Hi, you got communication cable plugged in (maybe try unplug it and try again?). Im sorry that im newly growatt SPF5000ES and havent got it running yet because i’m still installing solar pv alone. It will require days. Just want to learn. My setup will be SOL and using contactor to get grid feeds the loads when solar pv and battery are too low.

Dear friends,

I have the Growatt SPF5000ES and 7 batteries (Pylontech 6 x US3000C and 1 x US5000) amongst other elements, including 56 solar panels, but the issue I want to solve is related to the Growatt inverter and the 7 Pylontech batteries connected to it.

From 6 PM in the evening to 11 AM next day I have it configured in such a way that only the batteries take all the load; the problem I have found is that even when the load is not much ( between 600 and 700W), the batteries will feed only about 350W and the rest will come from the grid. I have more than enough battery power to deal with the full load, but for some reason they only deliver about 50% and the fact is that when at eleven am the solar panels come in together with some grid power (depending on the weather), my batteries have only dropped to 60-70% SOC (state of charge)....

My guess is that some setting on the SPF5000ES needs to be corrected so the batteries deliver enough to handle the full load during that period. Problem is that reading through the manual I see no setting related to the battery máximum amps that can be delivered in a constant basis, without the aid of the external grid....
By the way, when I have the battery selected, the screen on the inverter only shows the battery ===>the Growatt===>the house...

Any ideas??

Best regards
The only way I could resolve this issue was to install a contactor on the incoming mains supply side , controlled by a programmable eWeLink device. Not the ideal situation as one has to micro manage the operation as conditions demand. At least the devices are internet connected making it easy ?

Thanks to all, great buch of people!!
I was thinking (or inventing) such an automatic switch where I could adjust it to where my Kostal inverter/inverters are giving me the error and switching off and reset itself as soon as the voltage dropped back down, but even after doing some search on the web, I haven't found anything I can use. Of course I could use a DC trip switch with a certain max. Amp setting, but then I would have to keep an eye for when it tripped.
The other option would be to remove one panel on each troublesome string, but then I would be missing production surface when the weeather and the sun are not at its best in winter.
I am convinced the problem lies on these Spring days when the sky is clear or with small white clouds and the temperature is still low.
Can someone guide me into the place where they sell the type of DC adjustable switch that can handle 600 DC Volts and that it resets itself once the amps drop to an admissible figure?
Best regards

Attachments

• CALCULATING APROX W AND V 07.05.2023 DJI_0208.jpg
    CALCULATING APROX W AND V 07.05.2023 DJI_0208.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Back