diy solar

diy solar

How to avoid the tremendous hidden taxes on solar and related equipment.

Bobert

Solar Enthusiast
It occurs to me that most people pay at least 4 sometimes extremely heavy taxes on solar that are avoidable. The 4 taxes that I am aware of are “convenience tax” “peace of mind tax” “lazy tax” and “stupid tax” I believe that educating yourself before a project can significantly reduce these taxes. These taxes especially when combined can be staggering.
Ever buy a super high quality component ( for peace of mind tax ) Only to discover that it doesn’t even have a purpose in your final setup? ( stupid tax) ever spend tons of time and money to automate something that you just turn of an on by hand anyway? (Convenience tax) Ever put something together and it didn’t work because you never took the time to work it out on paper first? (Lazy tax) I think I have paid all of these taxes. Have you ever paid any of these taxes? What other taxes have I missed?

I've paid the "Early Adopter" tax quite a bit, most of my solar projects were on their 3rd or 4th iteration before I knew this forum existed and the resources at the time were quite limited. Back then a Mid-Grade MPPT controller was MidNite and cost a few hundred bucks.

I wouldn't call it a "Stupid Tax" or a "Lazy Tax" since at the time the only people working with solar were the brand-new-fly-by-night-grid-tie-installers and major power companies. Not a lot of available information out there.

I will refuse however to pay the "Victron Tax" and buy an overpriced piece of kit just because it's "The Best" by popular demand. There is nothing that the $800 MPPT does for me that a $200 MPPT doesn't do. I'll never understand the big desire for equipment that requires bluetooth and constant internet connection and such for an off-grid cabin that has no internet or cell access.

But that's just me. I'm going to go hide from the Victron Mob now. :)

Have you ever paid any of these taxes? What other taxes have I missed?
Oddly, and not a superiority statement, I’ve no recollection in any pursuits of paying either a stupid tax or a lazy tax.

In observation in my lifetime, however, I’m thinking the stupid tax has been around a while, but this kind of “lazy” as in your lazy tax is a more recent phenomenon.

People think they should have all the work done for them and they buy stuff and think they can just connect everything and it will work. And then post bad reviews because it doesn’t work…

That’s a cultural variant of the lazy tax. Ignorance is where we all start, anyway. But ignorance by being unaware that there’s things you don’t know is an amazingly foolish and illogical place to be intellectually. Behind it is a narcissist viewpoint combined with a kind of disdain for the past / superiority complex behavior that used to be the domain of the young (most of us know what that means as we grow older and gain wisdom) but now extends across generations in our society.

I’ve rarely paid a ‘convenience tax’ but sometimes I have- knowledgeably. And sometimes I’ve paid the peace of mind tax; but proactively, intentionally: Tom Woods and Denny’s Driveline driveshafts, USA-made SK wrenches, Klein electricians stuff, good maple syrup, tires, water pumps, USA or German bolts, Spicer U-joints, shoes, Mikita tools… Is that convenience or value?

I think everything through. Maybe from habits of being financially challenged, or perhaps necessity I don’t spend money readily. 2016 I was broke. Now I’m ok, money in the bank. I still spend very methodically, very carefully, and think things through. I never spend impulsively. Never paid the stupid tax.

...and think things through...

I like to "think things through" too. I wonder though if there is a "too much thinking" tax as I often wonder, imagine, judge, and otherwise let so much time pass that the {whatever}

is no longer available
increased in price
has a long wait time
has been superseded

I like to "think things through" too. I wonder though if there is a "too much thinking" tax as I often wonder, imagine, judge, and otherwise let so much time pass that the {whatever}

is no longer available
increased in price
has a long wait time
has been superseded
Yep, I have tons of this "think through too long" tax...missing out good deal..

I don't know how many times I've paid the ever rare "Stuck On A Boat" tax... like when I joined the ship and $300k bought you a 5bed house on 10 acres, and when I got off the boat $300k bought you a single-wide in a park. :(

The "Yes Dear" tax. AKA "Keep the Peace" tax. This is the most common tax in our household.
Here is an example MANY of you have observed since I arrived in the forum.

1) We need to keep fridges & freezers running when the grid goes down. Build a solar system.
Yes Dear and I buy batteries, panels, AIO, wires, connectors, fuses and 30 other tools, parts & pieces. I join the forum, bounce all over the place asking "WHY NOT" and spend hundreds of hours learning about stuff I never knew existed.

2) What do you mean it won't power the hot tub, electric stove and water heater? Make it bigger.
Yes Dear and I buy more batteries, panels, a bigger AIO, bigger wires, connectors and fuses. I spend tens of hours learning about different stuff I just learned existed.

3) What are you going to do with all that stuff you bought for the small system?
To Keep the Peace I say "we will put it up at your son's house to keep his fridge & freezer running."

1+2+3= Spending a bunch of time on the forum & learning great new stuff.
Laughing at goofie stuff & hopefully keeping some folks out of the "Up In Smoke" forum.

I'm not smart enough to avoid these taxes YET.

Last edited:
I'm happy to pay the "Peace of Mind" tax. The system I built is on my boat, which when not in use sits unattended at the dock. It absolutely needs to be safe and reliable, and be remotely monitorable. When we are away from the dock, I'm also literally sleeping right on top of it, so again safety and reliability is paramount. One of the biggest dangers at sea is fire.

So yes, I paid the "Peace of Mind" tax. All the gear is Victron, Bluesea Systems, and a REC ABMS, with marine grade cable/wire, properly made lugs, and more safety protection than you can shake a stick out.

A few years ago I bought a solar controller that wasn’t right for my setup “stupid tax” now I could use it but I can’t remember where I put it does that mean I can reassign my stupid tax to forgetfulness tax and if I find it does that mean I got a tax refund?

there is a "too much thinking" tax
>sheepish<
I’ve paid that one a few times. Just recently, too.
$20k for a 2 acre town lot. That somebody else bought cuz I didn’t sooner.

Or the HF toolbox I wanted a few years ago but didn’t want to part with $999.98. Now it’s $1519.99 :(

What about the (online) "buyer education tax"? Learning that took a lot.

Last edited:
I'm paying the "hobby/fun tax".

Nothing I've done with my off-grid system is absolutely necessary. But I'm doing it anyway because I enjoy it and like making something that is ever more useful. Learning new things isn't really a tax, it's an investment in one's self.

As to "convenience tax", well that describes our entire home power backup system. It is largely a convenience.

I'm automating some functions and have absolutely no issue paying that tax either. e.g. the system to automatically keep humidity in the mancave under control but to do so when there is solar PV energy available. Or the way the pool pump is managed to automatically adjust to seasonal needs and energy availability.

I've got one of those HF tool chests (top and bottom). It's full and I'm holding out for a Snap-On since my brother is a Snap-On dealer.
Now I couldn’t let myself buy any snap on boxes. That 56” US_GENERAL is plenty rugged.
The too-small-from-day-one 44” was used full time a couple years and moved a number of times. Still great.

The 56” is just as good; even better that it will hold the overflow that doesn’t have a home and is piled on top. Then the 63” base I built can go back to just holding pullers and clamps and air tools and welding stuff.

Snap-on to me is a monopoly game tax: luxury tax combined with peace of mind tax. Equals a ton of cash for status points. My paycheck wasn’t any less cuz the tools used to earn it were stored in HF box :)

When a sometime mechanic is also a welder and a carpenter this happens:
51767B4C-7938-4E70-8D56-47C1DF5AACB9.jpeg

Last edited:
It occurs to me that most people pay at least 4 sometimes extremely heavy taxes on solar that are avoidable. The 4 taxes that I am aware of are “convenience tax” “peace of mind tax” “lazy tax” and “stupid tax” I believe that educating yourself before a project can significantly reduce these taxes. These taxes especially when combined can be staggering.
Ever buy a super high quality component ( for peace of mind tax ) Only to discover that it doesn’t even have a purpose in your final setup? ( stupid tax) ever spend tons of time and money to automate something that you just turn of an on by hand anyway? (Convenience tax) Ever put something together and it didn’t work because you never took the time to work it out on paper first? (Lazy tax) I think I have paid all of these taxes. Have you ever paid any of these taxes? What other taxes have I missed?
stupid tax is usually the cost of education

Think how much smarter you were after paying it. :ROFLMAO:

Back