diy solar

diy solar

How to be kind to my new Lifepo4

Getting fully charged on occasion is best. Maybe once every two weeks if possible. This helps keep the cells balanced and if you have a shunt it allows the shunt to recalibrate.

If you get enough sun to keep the SOC between 20% and 50% then you get enough sun to keep the SOC between 70% and 100% (assuming you can start with a full charge).

If you get enough sun to keep the SOC between 20% and 50% then you get enough sun to keep the SOC between 70% and 100%
Not at the times where we've been using a lot of electricity, then have a few days of little sun (unless I used the grid to charge of course)

But I think the summary, is that I can use my lifepo4 at low SOC (eg 20-50%), as long as I top balance every couple of weeks or so?

Does this imply that a lifepo4 battery suffers from the same issue as LA, in that I have to make sure I charge up the lifepo4 to 100%?

The reason for the low state of charge, is due to the sun. During the summer months, I anticipate higher SOC. Winter....that's a different story.
LiFePO4 batteries are a type of lithium battery and do not need to be charged to 100% before storing unless you plan to store them permanently, LOL. Because in general, the storage time will be about a few months, and the self-discharge rate of LiFePO4 batteries is about 3% per month, so 50% SOC is the most suitable. You can also refer to: What should I Know about LiFePO4 Battery Winterize? , which mentions related content, which I think is quite interesting.

Back