diy solar

diy solar

How to best replace a 60V battery with LiFePo4 ?

GoetzSaCebu

If its off-topic here pls move to the correct forum, thanks.
As I live in the philippines I plan on buying a simple EV for the city. Regular EV are too expensive and usually com with LiIo batteries that are a waste of money.
Importing a small EV with LiFePo4 from china is no option because of 30% import tax to pay. And then its nt made for american sized people.

That way I plan on buying a EV like these DECC | The Ride Of The Future (evdecc.com) (3-wheeler with 3KW motor and 60V/90Ah LiIo battery is about 7k$) or SUPREMO EBIKES (company.site) (4-wheeler with 1500W motor and 60V/45Ah LeadAcid batteries is about 2600$)
VIHARI-1.jpg 2567374266.jpg

Max speed is enough for the city, they are open so I don't need aircon. Big enough for regular roads and can carry up to 4 people.
Only problem is, they use 60V batteries and I am not a electrician enough to just do a battery from single cells myself.

I asked Ampere Time if I could series 5 of ther 12V/200Ah batteries but their answer was:
"The MOS components of the BMS have a voltage withstand value of 80V. 12.8V*4 (in series) = 51.2V, and charging voltage of 51.2V battery is 56.8V-58.4V, but also a little bit of reserve, we set the limitation of 4 batteries ( in series) in case it's too close to the upper limit. The MOS will burn out if the 80V withstand voltage value is exceeded. Our 12V 200Ah battery supports up to 4 identical batteries for up to: 48V 200Ah battery system (in series)"

Using a 48V battery wont be good as I wont reach the maximum speed and grip.
That way I am now thinking why no one before has noticed that there is a market for these simple EV especially in simple countries like Asia and Africa.
And therefore why are no decent 60V LiFePo4 batteries available?

Theres only one 60V90Ah LiFePo4 battery I can find online, but with that I get about 60KM range and that is a bit small in my opinion. Thats why I would love to put a 60V/200Ah battery in and get 100+ KM of range. It would be an awsome vehicle for the city here.

Any advice where I can get such a battery?
60V and at least 150Ah should do.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Most US companies don't ship batteries outside the USA, I guess theres a regulation that either forbids it or its way to expensive?

I would be looking at five of those AT batteries and take the risk.

The voltage risk is while charging at the top or discharging near the bottom. If one battery has an issue and tries to protect the cells the MOS may not handle the voltage. Need to carefully monitor and control the charging voltage to prevent such an error. Need to start by fully charging in parallel and verify all will go to max without an error. Then need to control the series voltage to a conservative level. I also recommend a balancer between each battery to keep them synchronized.

Otherwise probably need a custom battery.

Or is there any way to transform 48V DC into 60V DC for a 3KW motor- if not too expensive hahaha

Before you jump in and target "60V," you should look at the existing operating range of the "60V" battery and size the battery accordingly.

I assume you're going to want to charge this battery with a charger, so if you plan to use any charger that's on board or comes with the EV, you should consider that as well.

Back