diy solar

diy solar

How to build an expandable system?

George05

I eventually want to build a system that can produce 1500 kw per month, but I can’t afford it all at once. What components should I buy upfront in order to expand into this size of a system slowly?

I want a grid tie system with battery backup.

My largest instantaneous device is my water well, which requires 12 amps and 2,640 watts to start up. It then requires 11 amps, and 2420 watts to run continuously. It will need to run for 15 minutes, 3 times per day.

I would like to purchase what I need to at least run the well, then expand as funds allow.

I like AC coupled PV inverters and battery inverter that does frequency-shift to manage them when grid is down.

Unless it has variable frequency drive, your well pump probably requires 55 amps to start. It takes a scope or inrush meter to measure that.
You need a battery inverter which can deliver that surge.

What is your budget now, for how many watts now, and for complete system?

I use SMA Sunny Boy and Sunny Island.

My largest instantaneous device is my water well, which requires 12 amps and 2,640 watts to start up. It then requires 11 amps, and 2420 watts to run continuously. It will need to run for 15 minutes, 3 times per day.

I would like to purchase what I need to at least run the well, then expand as funds allow.
Could you go into more detail as to how exactly you got these numbers? I'm a bit concerned here that a mistake has been made? Where you using a meter to measure amp draw? What meter was it? "Did it have inrush current" capability?

I'd likely trust your 11A, 2420W numbers to be accurate, but based on the performance of my own pump, I'd say your startup values are more likely to be in the 41-42A range, or 10,000W.

The up-front costs for building a system for running your pump is going to be high. Since the pump is likely to be the single biggest power draw in your home, I don't think a growing system is the right strategy.

Back