diy solar

diy solar

How to clean up BMS wire clutter?

rhino

Solar Wizard
Are there any general recommendations on how to clean up wire clutter with a centralized BMS? My layout currently looks like a pile of spaghetti and need to do something to clean it up. Also wondering what would be good if wanted to have wiring for BMS that crosses over/touches the opposite battery post since would make the layout simpler or if I should just avoid doing that. This is for 48V system so lots of wires.

you can use a variety of type of tubing to run multiple wires together and then split off on the other end. If you don't have the right tubing you can use electrician's tape but not so elegant. Even shrink wrap tubing can come in a variety of lengths which would give you the neatest install. If you have it all wired and terminated already, you can use that split loom tubing to insert the already connected wires.

I used a piece of Insulating Fiberglass Insulation Sheet/Board that came from my old shunbin pack. put a few holes & thin zippy ties to hold everything in place. I kept all the wire harness wires the same length. They feed into a QNBBM Active Balancer along with the BMS wires. Anything that is non-conductive and heat resistant up to or above 50C / 122F you should be good to go. Make every effort not to cover the vents on the cells. I did put about a 1/2" of Gorilla 2-way tape on each end of strips to keep them from moving when I shift things around. Dang that stuff is crazy strong ! Click the thumbnail.

280AH-with QNBBM.jpg

Are there any general recommendations on how to clean up wire clutter with a centralized BMS? My layout currently looks like a pile of spaghetti and need to do something to clean it up. Also wondering what would be good if wanted to have wiring for BMS that crosses over/touches the opposite battery post since would make the layout simpler or if I should just avoid doing that. This is for 48V system so lots of wires.
I used eyelets soldered to awg16 wire covered in nylon webbing, heat shrink, and zip ties.1606956444571.png

I used a piece of Insulating Fiberglass Insulation Sheet/Board that came from my old shunbin pack. put a few holes & thin zippy ties to hold everything in place. I kept all the wire harness wires the same length. They feed into a QNBBM Active Balancer along with the BMS wires. Anything that is non-conductive and heat resistant up to or above 50C / 122F you should be good to go. Make every effort not to cover the vents on the cells. I did put about a 1/2" of Gorilla 2-way tape on each end of strips to keep them from moving when I shift things around. Dang that stuff is crazy strong ! Click the thumbnail.

View attachment 29151
Oh I like going down the middle like that and the board underneath.. I don't think I have anything off-hand that would work for that but that looks nice. Is there something cheap I could get that would work like that board?

Looks like you are using a terminal block to connect a BMS and then switching to different wiring for actually connecting to the cells?
That is correct. I have been testing the small inductive and capacitive active balancers. The inductive style worked the best for me. I had 4 connected at the same time. In the first cycle, all four units were active. In the second cycle, two units went active and one shut down a short time later. Many cycles later the pack stays within 10 mv delta.

Depends on your balancing system. I would think several feet though.( You would need to test it though )

Back