diy solar

diy solar

How to connect multiple high amp loads to battery bank

That's a LOT of battery power!! What's going to be recharging it? There can't be enough room on the roof of a van to make a big dent in it. Dual 250 amp alternators on the engine?

Battery powered A/C in a van really does complicate everything. Propane for cooking and/or the refrigerator would lessen the load and make it possible to run a conventional A/C on our 3000 watt inverter

By all means, forget about trying all this on 12 volts

Don
12V is gone. Got the orders for those components cancelled.

I actually think it simplifies things (running at a higher voltage). No need to run propane lines, or refill/rebuy the small cans. Can get 12/24(or 120v fridge/freezers) which work way better than propane. 12V makes it much more complicated though I learned. glad that approach is gone.

The van has 2 basic "goals":

1.) 3-5 days ski trips (all within 4-8 hour drives), all of which are pretty easy on the load due to diesel heat
2.) 2-4 day summer trips into the backcountry, where I drive, park for 2-4 days, and come home (1-3 hour drive each way).

charging will be (mostly) accomplished by shore power before leaving. As you said, panel's won't really put a dent on a ~30kwh system.

Hopefully the summer trips will be at altitude where not much A/C is needed. Even with 30Kw, where I live that would get me little more than a single day of the needed A/C, let alone cooking and keeping the fridge cool

Don

Back