diy solar

diy solar

How to create battery bank - Busbar, fuses, combiners,

Jrv8984

I'm creating a 48v battery bank with 20 Valence batteries to connect to my 2 12k sol-arks inverters.

What are my best options for combining the 5 battery strings together?

Are you talking in relation to the master to slave BMS interconnections, or in relation to the main power feeds series/parallel bank wiring?

What are you planning for a BMS solution?

Main power feeds. I've got the wires that came from the smart truck to Interconnect the batteries in series. But I need a way to combine them in parallel and then feed both inverters.

Have you thought of using a set of copper bus bars for positive and negative common connections?

Some people mount them inside of a trough in case they don't want them out and exposed.

I know Engineer775 on You Tube does a lot of Sol-Ark installs there and he likes putting the trough right under the Sol-Arks for clean wiring:
1607377162235.png
Reference:

Could also use a general purpose electrical panel and install bus bars in there. I'm going to use a Midnite Solar MNDC175-X2, and build the positive bus bar to go horizontally, between the 2 top breaker terminals it ships with, and put in a separate copper buss vertically in the upper right of the box for negative bus. Top terminals of breakers will go to the inverters, while bottom terminals of breakers will go to each of 2 battery banks on mine anyways. Top terminals will be bridged with the bus connecting them (so I can break off each battery independently and not lose power to either inverter, copper bus will keep the 2 banks in balance).

1607377404851.png

Midnite Solar does also have single DC master panels like this (MNDC250 Mini DC panel), which you could put copper bus bars into:
1607377738077.png

I like that both of these panels have provisions to add smaller DC breakers in them for other uses like DC native loads and such. And room to add shunts and things like that if needed.

Is midnights mnlbc-w250 a viable option?

Yeah, that will work too (it looks like it already has bus bars, cool), anything really that you like and looks like it would meet your needs and make for a clean looking neat installation...

Back