diy solar

diy solar

How to do I connect PV cable w/ MC4 to MPP Solar Inverter/Charger

redrock514

My PV wires have MC4 connectors. In Will's video where he sets up a all-in-one MPP Solar unit, he uses XT60 connectors (minute 6:50). What about just cutting off the MC4 connectors and connecting them directly into the MPP Solar Inverter/Charger? Any other alternatives?

You could also just fabricate your own MC4 leads from the MPP solar unit. That's what I did for my Victron SCC

You could also just fabricate your own MC4 leads from the MPP solar unit. That's what I did for my Victron SCC
I assume that would save me a few bucks. Would you mind sharing how you fabricated yours? If I do buy the adapter to the XT60, then I still need to buy and fabricate more components just to connect to the MPP unit. Could I cut off the XT60 connector and then connect the bare wires to the MPP?

Building a simple connection set is fairly simple, the connectors aren’t much online, and the crimper are simple to use.
I could build you a set, I got a bag of MC4 male and female, and bought the crimper already. What is positive and negative on your panel?

I assume that would save me a few bucks. Would you mind sharing how you fabricated yours? If I do buy the adapter to the XT60, then I still need to buy and fabricate more components just to connect to the MPP unit. Could I cut off the XT60 connector and then connect the bare wires to the MPP?
Or should I just buy a connector like this one:

Buy:

Cut off ends to desired length, strip and install in terminals. You'll have two connectors left over and a bunch of spare wire.

Can also get a crimp kit:

And make your own. Might come in handy for other stuff. I had a couple of defective connectors, and it was great to be able to cut it off and replace it.

The XT60/MC4 adapter is $24, but you still have to fab something for the SCC.

EDIT: 12awg may be a little light for the ones you found.

OK, so I think I understand your first comment better. I do already have an extension from my roof to my mechanical room where the inverter is. I will cut off the MC4 on the ends of the extension. Thank you and sorry for my ignorance. I thought in Will's video (previously referred to), he had an extension that he was connecting into.

If you already have a ratcheting crimper that supports replaceable dies, just buy the MC4 die for it. That's what I did. Otherwise, it sounds like you have it figured out.

Back