diy solar

diy solar

How To Find A Qualified Installer In My Area

Ret. L.E.O. 482B

Hi, I am pretty new at this so be kind, I might ask some dumb questions?
I am in the process of shopping for a small travel trailer intended for boondocking, most likely on BLM ground. First and largest upgrade will be a solar system. I have no desire at all to use public RV Parks. Exceptions will be occasional State and Federal Parks. I have my trailer pretty well narrowed down to a Winnebago Micro Minnie Bunk House model. I intend to remove the bottom bunk in the rear and use that area for my battery/solar equipment area. Plus it will be right across from the Trailer's 12V/DC electrical panel.
I am considering roughly 480 watts in panels on the roof and a 200 W portable suitcase panel on the ground. I am considering probably 6 or 8 Battleborn 100AH Li's, either a Victron Multiplus 3000 or a Go Power 3000 watt inverter. Love that they are combination inverter/charger/switch. Whichever I decide on will dictate which other brand components I will go with. I do really like the Victrons broad line of solar equipment.
Question: (finally)
I will need to have it installed for me; I am fairly disabled. How do I find a qualified installer in a reasonable driving distance. I'm about 100 miles N of St Louis, 250 miles to Chicago, 200 miles to Kansas City MO/KS. I don't know how to go about finding a qualified installer. Is there any type of certification I should ask for?
Thanks for any and all suggestions!
R.K.

It’s hard to find some one to install small solar off grid equipment for you .
There is no money in it , I would start with asking your trailer retailer if they have some one that they can recommend .
Some of the trailer places mite do it but they know trailers not solar equipment .
Grid tie equipment is different then off grid
Stuff but you really need to know your set up so you need to learn every thing .
The maybe assist some one with some skills .
it’s not that hard to do , maybe get some one to mount panels and run the cables inside ‘ then you take it from there . ?

Maybe Norther Arizona Wind & Solar can help. I don't have any mobile solar experience, but they have an installation service and have project installation videos. They are located in Flagstaff, AZ.

I'd be very cautious about who you choose. There's so little money in the RVs with so many differences, finding someone can be hard.

I used to see someone advertise RV installations in Craigslist in Phoenix, but not recently.

If you buy a system from arazona Wind And Sun .
They will walk you thru the installation .
I don’t know much about trailers but My buddy installed a Samlex 1500 watt inverter charger with a kid charge controller and 2 AGM battery’s he is weighting on battery’s from China .
It Is not very hard really .
I would try to do it , or atleast be involved in it .
The day will come when the power go’s out and you will have to fix it .

Thanks all, I am willing to pay someone enough to make it worth their time as long as I can be sure they are doing a good job. Actually with my limitations: spinal stenosis, scoliosis, herniate & ruptured disc, 5 year stroke survivor, 14 month major heart attack requiring 3 stints I am doing pretty good LOL!!!!!
Getting the panels on the roof is out of the question for me as is wiring the rv control panel which also seems daunting. As far as actually installing the inverter/converter isn't too daunting especially now how they are a inverter/converter/switch all rolled up in one. In fact I really do enjoy the DIY's as long as I know what I am doing or know where to find the resources to learn. Seems to be plenty of good resources on youtube from qualified installers and from Battleborn & Go Power. Would like to buy everything needed, pay someone $1-$2K to do the install as long as they let me help as much as possible :) I still love learning & doing stuff. I also want to take advantage of the Tax Credit for solar & installation. Does the money I'm thinking of for labor seem reasonable?
Thanks again!
R.K.

As others have noted finding an experienced RV installer can be a challenge let alone an onsite installation. You might want to look for an electrician close to where your trailer is located who specializes in solar installs. If you're lucky you'll find one who's done a trailer before.

Back