diy solar

diy solar

How to fuse inverter + dc load fuse box?

happy

I have a 12v lifepo4 battery with a 1500w inverter and various dc loads (fridge, lights, phone/laptop charging, misc outlets). I was thinking the best way to wire it up is to have one line directly from the battery to the inverter with a bolt on fuse, then another wire going from the battery to a fuse block that will be the distribution center for all the dc loads.

How exactly do I go about doing this? Can I use 2 bolt-on fuses of different sizes on the battery terminal? I am trying to keep it to 2 separate wires because the current is drastically different between the dc loads and the inverter, but I'm just not sure how to actually go about wiring it.

There is a growing concensous that the first fuse off of a LiFePO4 battery should be a class T Fuse because of the need for a very large AIC rating.
In addition I do not like to bolt fuses onto terminal posts due to the stress they can put on the posts. As if that does not limit things enough, I really do not like putting more than one large lug on a battery post due to the Stress on the terminal. (If you do decide to put more than one on a cell post, make sure the higher current lug goes on first)

So, I would wire things differently than you describe. Perhaps something like this:

1615418180467.png

(This assumes the inverter does not need more than ~120A and any surge would not be long enough and high to blow the fast acting Class T Fuse. It also assumes 30A is enough for the DC loads). You would need to adjust this to fit your needs.

If the gauge of wire going to/from the inverter was at least 2/0AWG (Enough to handle all the current the 200A fuse would allow), you could get away without the 150A fuse, but I do not recommend that.

Back