diy solar

diy solar

How to fuse when wiring in actuators in parallel?

Solar123456

I am wiring 4 X 12v actuaries in parallel. Each draws a max of 3 amps. The wire size they come with is 20 gauge.

If I plan on wiring them in parallel to a (DPDT) rocker switch, I imagine I’d want to use 14 gauge wire to handle 12A to power all four actuators at once. I plan on fusing with a 15 amp fuse but am unsure if need to fuse each individual actuator separately as well since they have 20 gauge wire.

Any help would be appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

automotive grade cable is rated as a maximum , 20g at 11 amps and 14g at 25 amps . It would seem safer to fuse each 20g feed at say 5 amps.

Mike

automotive grade cable is rated as a maximum , 20g at 11 amps and 14g at 25 amps . It would seem safer to fuse each 20g feed at say 5 amps.

Mike
Sorry I am still learning. Since they all need to be wired together to the same switch are you suggesting I wire them each in parallel let’s say on a 14 awg and then fuse each one where each actuator connects to the 14 gauge?

You will have a 14g cable up to the switch, this would need fusing at the battery end of the cable at 15 or 20 amps.
After the switch a 14 g cable to a 4 way fuse holder. The 20 g cable from the fuse holder to the actuators. Populate the fuse holder with 5 amp fuse

Fuses are intended, primarily, to prevent wires from turning into fire starters. If the power source can supply enough power to cause a shorted wire to go above 80C, then you'd generally consider putting a fuse on that wire so it cannot ever carry enough current to heat it up that much.

So the safest course is to protect each 20awg wire with its own 5A fuse.

Depending on the wire insulation, where it's located, if there are any combustable materials in contact with it or near it, etc, the recommendation might be different, and could allow for looser specifications.

But we're talking about four 12v, 5A fuses and fuse holder, which cheap. There's no reason to spend any significant time thinking about this - just fuse them all and let the current sort them out.

Back