diy solar

diy solar

How to get 200 watts input on Bluetti EB3a?

steveoliverc

Solar newbie here with probably a very basic question.

I just got the new Bluetti EB3A power station which has a DC input max of 200 watts and VOC 12-28VDC / 8.5A.

I have 2 of HQST 100 watt panels with VOC of 21.6V and IMP of 5.56 A.

It seems that if I connect the 2 panels in parallel, then the amps will be too high for the power station. (Maybe that's OK?)

But if I connect them in series, the voltage will be too high. (Definitely not OK?)

I haven't received the PV input cable that was included in my purchase but have a pair of branch cables if I want to set up as parallel.

Is it possible for me to get the full 200 watts input with this setup? Or, can I get close if I set up the 2 panels in parallel, with 21.6V times 8.5A (EB3A's limit) giving me a possibility of 184W input?

This is all pretty new to me so I'd appreciate any guidance and info. Don't want to let all of this Vegas sun go to waste! Thanks.

Solar newbie here with probably a very basic question.

I just got the new Bluetti EB3A power station which has a DC input max of 200 watts and VOC 12-28VDC / 8.5A.

I have 2 of HQST 100 watt panels with VOC of 21.6V and IMP of 5.56 A.

It seems that if I connect the 2 panels in parallel, then the amps will be too high for the power station. (Maybe that's OK?)

Yep and yep. It will only pull the 8.5A if it's available. It will ignore anything over.

But if I connect them in series, the voltage will be too high. (Definitely not OK?)

Correct.

I haven't received the PV input cable that was included in my purchase but have a pair of branch cables if I want to set up as parallel.

Is it possible for me to get the full 200 watts input with this setup?

No. 18Vmp * 8.5A = 153W

Or, can I get close if I set up the 2 panels in parallel, with 21.6V times 8.5A (EB3A's limit) giving me a possibility of 184W input?

Panels tend to operate at Vmp, or at least that's where they'll output max power. having surplus current (11A), it might find a max power point above Vmp.

I would count on 153W with maybe a little more.

Thanks for all the info & clarifications, and explaining when to use Vmp. Can't wait to get my cable from Bluetti! Thanks again.

@steveoliverc Have you tested the UPS mode on the EB3A? I'm wondering if it will switch fast enough to keep an XBox and TV on?

I second the above answers. When did you order the e 3a and when did you receive it? I ordered one on June 14, and cannot get a response from Blue re ship,date.

Any update on how many watts the EB3A achieved? I bought one last year; haven't played with the solar input yet.

Sorry for the late reply, I can confirm that sunshine_eggo's reply is correct. The highest solar input I have seen from my 2 @ 100watt panels is 157 watts on a very bright day and using a parallel setup and a 25 foot 10 AWG MC4 cable.

Have not tried UPS mode.

Also to point out, the unit will drop right to 0% capacity from 10 - 20% full when it's in AC output mode and drawing a light load (LED lights). I'm guessing the voltage gets too low but not sure why the capacity drops to zero. Probably best to turn off the unit when it gets to 20% capacity anyway.

Back