diy solar

diy solar

How to get 208V Single Phase from solar? What Inverter/charger/mppt? Or do I need 2 of them?

AlterN8

I am looking to install a pretty substantial amount of solar on my 43' fifth wheel and I am going to be swapping out the roof mounted AC units for a 3-zone mini split unit. This size mini split is only available in 208V single phase and I am struggling to find/understand what I need in order to get 208V single phase from an inverter/charger/mppt. I would like to install a 24V battery system and use a dc-dc converter to get my 12V for my dc loads in the trailer. Would like the inverter to be at least 4000W continuous.

Any help figuring out what I should be using to get 208V single phase would be greatly appreciated. Also, will I still be able to get just 120V from the same inverter?

Thanks all!

208 volts is actually found across two phases of three phase power and not a single phase, and if you can find an inverter than supplies three phase power, you can probably get 120 volts from it too, as any single phase of three phase to neutral gives you 120 volts

But, what an odd Mini-Split - Why would anyone make such a thing? You wouldn't be running it on standard household 120/240 power, so who would they be selling it to?? There's got to be a Mini-Split designed for 3 zones which runs on more conventional power. Post a link to your 208 volt unit please so we can read up on it :unsure:

Don

I am looking to install a pretty substantial amount of solar on my 43' fifth wheel and I am going to be swapping out the roof mounted AC units for a 3-zone mini split unit. This size mini split is only available in 208V single phase and I am struggling to find/understand what I need in order to get 208V single phase from an inverter/charger/mppt. I would like to install a 24V battery system and use a dc-dc converter to get my 12V for my dc loads in the trailer. Would like the inverter to be at least 4000W continuous.

Any help figuring out what I should be using to get 208V single phase would be greatly appreciated. Also, will I still be able to get just 120V from the same inverter?

Thanks all!
I suspect that the Mini-Split is rated for European 208V-230V (single-phase), but set for 60 Hz (US-ready)... If so, our 240V service should work fine.

Anyway, for a 30A or 50A (single-phase) rig, these two options come to mind:
1) Adding a 230VAC Inverter to your 24V battery bank (e.g., Victron Phoenix Inverter Smart 24/3000/230V)
2) Or adding a 120V to 240V Autotransformer to your 120VAC system (e.g., Victron Autotransformer 120/240V - 32A)
NOTE: If you add an Autotransformer you may also need to upgrade your 120V Inverter (e.g., from 3KW to 5KW), to sustain the load from the Mini-Split when not connected to Shore or Generator power.

And for a 50A (split-phase) rig:
Adding a second 120V Inverter (or Inverter/Charger) that can be paired with your existing Inverter/Charger to generate 240V (Split-phase)
NOTE: Depending on your existing setup, this may be the most complicated option to integrate.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I would be looking closely at that Victron mentioned above as a dedicated inverter for the mini-split.

I suspect that the Mini-Split is rated for European 208V-230V (single-phase), but set for 60 Hz (US-ready)... If so, our 240V service should work fine.

Anyway, for a 30A or 50A (single-phase) rig, these two options come to mind:
1) Adding a 230VAC Inverter to your 24V battery bank (e.g., Victron Phoenix Inverter Smart 24/3000/230V)
2) Or adding a 120V to 240V Autotransformer to your 120VAC system (e.g., Victron Autotransformer 120/240V - 32A)
NOTE: If you add an Autotransformer you may also need to upgrade your 120V Inverter (e.g., from 3KW to 5KW), to sustain the load from the Mini-Split when not connected to Shore or Generator power.

And for a 50A (split-phase) rig:
Adding a second 120V Inverter (or Inverter/Charger) that can be paired with your existing Inverter/Charger to generate 240V (Split-phase)
NOTE: Depending on your existing setup, this may be the most complicated option to integrate.

Good luck!
Thanks Hookem! I believe you are right on the 208-230v being able to be our 240v 60hz in the US. The more I looked, the better I understood that. Now I realize that I actually need standard 240V US split phase. Thank you!
Also, what you are suggesting with the Autotransformer I believe is the way to go. Thanks a lot!

Back