diy solar

diy solar

How to get performance stats from my system?

JAS

Solar Enthusiast
Hey all,

I don't have my system built/completely purchased yet. But, I'd like to be able to get useful statistics about the performance of my system...

Of the options, I'm thinking about:

• MPP Solar or Growatt AIO
    • I know these have several different options for getting info out of them. I also understand not to trust their state of charge readings. So would still need a 2nd battery monitor...
  • Victron
    • I know... top notch stuff. Lots of options for gathering stats. $$$$. (especially their SCCs. I can't swallow spending that much)
    • Probably still need separate battery monitor?
  • Samlex EVO
    • I like this option for the quality vs cost
    • Local statistics only that must be "sneakernetted" to a computer. (Not convenient and not real time unless looking right at the monitor screen)
    • Requires additional SCC
      • Thinking EPEver and I know they offer solutions for gathering data
      • Still need separate battery monitor.
    • With this option, I can get solar performance stats from the EPEver realtime over the network, batt performance stats realtime over the network (thinking Victron Batt Monitor). But, how can I see utility charging/usage stats realtime? Would love if Samlex would offer a solution here... Or does anyone make a "glorified" kill-a-watt with statistic logging capabilities?
    • Maybe I'm overthinking this too??? Maybe, just pulling the stats off the chip in the Samlex to my computer a few times a year is all I would need to do ?‍♂️
Curious how everyone else is doing it?

Thanks,

Jeff

MPP Solar or Growatt AIO
  • I know these have several different options for getting info out of them. I also understand not to trust their state of charge readings. So would still need a 2nd battery monitor...
You can get wifi or USB connected to those and get all sorts of info, much like everyone else. As for getting a monitor, you're looking for a shunt and the AiLi Ammeter Shunt is a pretty commonly used and recommended shunt and for less than $50 it's not expensive.

I'm using Samlex EVO inverters with Midnite Classic SCC's with the Wizbang Jr. units attached. Via a wifi bridge to my shop I have realtime monitoring of production data, volts/amps/kw per day, amp hours in the battery, etc., plus amount of power being used by the inverters. So far haven't run into any info I wanted that wasn't available and very easy to set up.

Reactions: JAS
Electrodacus SBMS0 (Open source hardware and software) it only shows the date for the last 24 hours. It is possible to interface it with a MQTT server to collect the data. Which is still on my list of things to do. Home assistant is another possibility that I am thinking off using especially considering that it might be able to interface with the forecast to try to predict how much solar I am likely to generate for the day.

I'm using Samlex EVO inverters with Midnite Classic SCC's with the Wizbang Jr. units attached. Via a wifi bridge to my shop I have realtime monitoring of production data, volts/amps/kw per day, amp hours in the battery, etc., plus amount of power being used by the inverters. So far haven't run into any info I wanted that wasn't available and very easy to set up.
So are you only getting info from Solar output and battery monitoring with the Wizbangs? I'm guessing that doesn't help you see how much AC Switchover/Charging usage is happening from the Samlex?

I'm sure what you mean by Switchover? It show the charge coming from the inverter to the batteries if they get low and the charger kicks in, it's shown as "negative consumption".

I'm sure what you mean by Switchover? It show the charge coming from the inverter to the batteries if they get low and the charger kicks in, it's shown as "negative consumption".
Interesting... Is there a way to tell how much of that "negative consumption" is from the Samlex AC Charger and how much is from Solar Charging?

I guess I'd just like to know how much grid power I'm still using. But, like I said, I guess I can just pull the SD card out of the Samlex periodically to get that info...

Sure, I'm getting live updates from the charge controller showing among other things input volts and amps from the panels, output volts and amps to the batteries, total energy generated for the day (with month history available), amp hours currently in the battery bank, temperatures of the controller PCB and mosfets and battery temp. I can see live data for when the charger kicks in, it's currently set up to run an hour at 40 amps when it turns on (rarely).

At the moment I don't have any record of the total grid usage for the inverter for a period of time. My setup is that everything is powered from solar, if the battery drops below 50 percent the charger kicks on an puts in 40 amps at 24 volts for an hour, that's always been enough to get me through until morning, but that's all programmable. That's just a little over a kilowatt hour on the grid side, so about 12 cents worth of electricity here at the moment.

I'm not currently pulling any of the data from the Samlex. It has an SD slot for logging everything it does but so far haven't felt the need for that info but I know it logs an enormous amount of data if you want it.

I do have to admit that the live updates over wifi, viewable on my laptop, tablet or phone, have turned out to offer me a tremendous amount of entertainment value...when the sun breaks through the clouds I just can't help but pull out my phone and see how much power I'm generating, cheap thrills (well, not so cheap).

Back