diy solar

diy solar

How to measure AC appliance surge wattage?

Comenius

Other than sitting and staring at a Kill A Watt and waiting for a surge to occur on an appliance such as a refrigerator, how can I measure the surge wattage of a plugged in AC appliance? Is there some other brand of wattage meter that I can leave sitting for a few days to record peak wattage and not just cumulative wattage over time?

Would be terrific if there was something like a Kill-A-Watt with logging capabilities you could access via phone/wifi or something. There are commercial units that do that but expensive as all heck or "Smart Panels" which are even more $. There are products from Schneider, Sense, Eaton etc but that's another game altogether.

I looked into an IoT Smartplug (version 2) from Samsung which could do it BUT their cellphone app demands 100% access to your phone and it's contents. Head Shaker ! The only thing they want that for is to sell your data, I think. But there is an interesting on IoT power/energy monitoring here: https://community.smartthings.com/t/power-energy-monitoring/107080/8

Emporia VUE shows the spike.

I have the 8 circuit module. But I seldom look at each circuit separately.

It is VERY easy to install.

Emporia VUE logs everything and saves it to the cloud in a CSV. My two-week file had 1.5 million entries.

Screenshot_20191117-132315.png Screenshot_20191117-132053.png

Last edited:
Back