diy solar

diy solar

How to monitor SOK battery or skip them altogether...?

Zbugsii

I am considering getting some SOK batteries... I like what I see about them EXCEPT I do not see how you can really monitor them and see what all is going on with the individual cells and....

When a questioned SOK.... they just sent me a link for a shunt and a monitoring system, NOT helpful.

Since they do not support Bluetooth, but they have a BMS.... is there a way to connect into it and see what is going on... or what?

Before I give up on considering them, who might have an answer about how to see under the cover of their batteries.

Thank you in advance.

Yes, it shows them to be very good batteries... but I yet see how to get any information on what is going on inside. Other BMS systems have Bluetooth were you can go and get all sorts of information on what is going on inside of the battery... like individual cell voltages. But can you get this information from a SOK battery?? If so, how?

Perhaps you could swap out the stock SOK BMS for one that has the features you want.

Other BMS systems have Bluetooth were you can go and get all sorts of information on what is going on inside of the battery... like individual cell voltages.
Other BMS systems, yes.

Other sealed all-in-one batteries? Some, maybe... but I don't think that's commonplace. I could be wrong, though.

Well... I now think I am on to figuring out a different approach... as it appears SOK does not give you anyway to REALLY monitor what is going on with their stuff. I had high hopes for them, but not now!

Well... I now think I am on to figuring out a different approach... as it appears SOK does not give you anyway to REALLY monitor what is going on with their stuff. I had high hopes for them, but not now!
Do you know of another manufacturer that does?

Chins has a line of smart 12v batteries on Amazon. (plus heating)
Will was fairly impressed with the dumb versions but there's no telling how the newer versions rate.

Other Amazon dealers like Jita are promising upgrades to cold temp charging cut off but no mention if they'll go smart.

Signature Solar has monitoring but I'm not sure if they're "manageable".
12- 24 - 48 "soon" to be in stock

Yes, it shows them to be very good batteries... but I yet see how to get any information on what is going on inside. Other BMS systems have Bluetooth were you can go and get all sorts of information on what is going on inside of the battery... like individual cell voltages. But can you get this information from a SOK battery?? If so, how?
I have four of them, and treat them like lead acid or AGM. They just work. A shunt can provide SOC, so why worry needlessly?

Good morning, @Zbugsii.

I’m going out on a limb a bit here but I’m curious why they really need individual cell monitoring.

Think about it this way if you have an individual cell failure in an SOK battery, the bms shuts the battery down.

Then you check if you’re past the rated cycle life.

If not take it up with SOK’s warranty dept.

If so. Replace the battery.

A quality shunt makes this easy.

Well.... the real reason is I am a damn geek and electrical engineer.... and I just always seem to want to know what is going on. Do I really need it... no, but.... Did I tell you I am a geek?

But now, if I try to use SOK's, I can put only one in my battery location and would have to put another in an RV compartment and run some battery cables to and fro....

I have posted another post whereby I am thinking of making my metal RV battery box become my new cells and BMS box directly.

I am considering getting some SOK batteries... I like what I see about them EXCEPT I do not see how you can really monitor them and see what all is going on with the individual cells and....

When a questioned SOK.... they just sent me a link for a shunt and a monitoring system, NOT helpful.

Since they do not support Bluetooth, but they have a BMS.... is there a way to connect into it and see what is going on... or what?

Before I give up on considering them, who might have an answer about how to see under the cover of their batteries.

Thank you in advance.
Considering your background, why not build your own battery? Lots of DIY info here. Downside, getting the LifePo4 you desire may be an issue, but if you look on the forum, you will find a Texas supplier that ships and has good prices. Cells, BMS, some wire, lugs you are in business.

Bob,
That is what I am currently now working on.... I am in contact with Amy regarding price and availability in Texas. I think I wanted CATL batteries, but they are out of stock. She only has EVE. not sure I should be concerned... but...

And then I am trying to figure out which BMS.... Overkill Solar or JBD.... and the story continues...

I was in the same position, which BMS...apparently Overkill's is almost identical to the JBD. I ended up getting the JBD direct from the factory, I am building a 105ah Lithium Iron 24vdc system with the JBD bms. I also think you can get the JBD with bluetooth from batteryhookup. I got the 120ah JBD with bluetooth for $73 for the 4s1p type battery, order two of them, could have just did the one but with 8s balance function. Spent way too much time trying to figure out which unit and where.

No ReBel batteries. Batteryhookup is out of stock and the one they have only supports 100ah, I am wanting a bit more.

How would a bluetooth transceiver work sealed inside a metal case?

How would a bluetooth transceiver work sealed inside a metal case?
Yeah, I asked him about that and he said it does cut down on the range. (I don't know what that range is, but I would guess you would have to be in the same room and probably within 15' or so.

I guess it depends on how close you want/need to be to it...

For me, I don't need continual monitoring. Just would want to connect to it occasionally and look at things

I have received my two JBD 12vdc 120 ah BMS with the bluetooth adapter. I have not yet received my 8 105ah Lifepo4 batteries, on slow boat from china. I am going to build two 12vdc 105ah with JBD BMS with bluetooth. My question, with two complete batteries, and placing them in series for a 24 vdc 105ah pack, keeping in mind each has its own BMS. How do you use the Android Bluetooth Software to monitor the pack? Since it will have two bluetooth devices in pack, do you give each pack its own specific address to use? looked at Overkills documentation, and it states on page 30 "
Q: Can I parallel / Series?
A: Complete assemblies can be connected in parallel or series. Imagine the battery and BMS in a black box
with only the positive and negative terminals exposed, like a lead acid or battleborn.
Batteries should be matched in state of charge before connecting in series or parallel. We suggest fully
charging both battery assemblies before connecting them. If not, a large current may flow between the
batteries as they equalize."

No mention how you view monitor two individual packs wired in series with the bluetooth adapters and the android apk.

Feedback welcome, this is a work in progress. Two 12vdc 105ah each with bluetooth to be used in series.

I know they make a 8 cell bms 100ah unit, however, I wish to at times just use a single battery for portable applications, thus the reason for two separate packs.

Thanks in advance

I have received my two JBD 12vdc 120 ah BMS with the bluetooth adapter. I have not yet received my 8 105ah Lifepo4 batteries, on slow boat from china. I am going to build two 12vdc 105ah with JBD BMS with bluetooth. My question, with two complete batteries, and placing them in series for a 24 vdc 105ah pack, keeping in mind each has its own BMS. How do you use the Android Bluetooth Software to monitor the pack? Since it will have two bluetooth devices in pack, do you give each pack its own specific address to use? looked at Overkills documentation, and it states on page 30 "
Q: Can I parallel / Series?
A: Complete assemblies can be connected in parallel or series. Imagine the battery and BMS in a black box
with only the positive and negative terminals exposed, like a lead acid or battleborn.
Batteries should be matched in state of charge before connecting in series or parallel. We suggest fully
charging both battery assemblies before connecting them. If not, a large current may flow between the
batteries as they equalize."

No mention how you view monitor two individual packs wired in series with the bluetooth adapters and the android apk.

Feedback welcome, this is a work in progress. Two 12vdc 105ah each with bluetooth to be used in series.

I know they make a 8 cell bms 100ah unit, however, I wish to at times just use a single battery for portable applications, thus the reason for two separate packs.

Thanks in advance
You monitor them via the BMS as if they are seperate batteries. If you want to monitor SOC as a single entity, get a Victron shunt to put in front of both banks at the 24V side.

I have two 13KW 48V banks in parallel, and the shunt provides combined SOC across the banks.

Back