diy solar

diy solar

How to open Lipo Motorcycle battey

sshibly

Solar Enthusiast
Good Morning,
I bought a few of these dead motorcycle batteries off BH. I want to TRY to reuse the plastic cases.

How do I go about attempting to open the top with the least amount of damage?
It seems they have some sort of glue applied.

Heat?

Attachments

• lipo_moto_battery_top.jpg
    lipo_moto_battery_top.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 14
You could try a heat gun, and try to use a wider blade pry instrument, and apply some heat around a corner, with some prying force (twisting the blade instrument) to see what the characteristics are of the glue, if it softens or allows the bond to break easily. I guess it just depends on the bonding glue they used.

Sometimes they might even melt the plastics together, or I've seen glue (like with Lexan and aquarium tank bonding), where the glue itself creates a chemical melting together, and it is impossible to break them apart, the plastics at the bond point basically becoming one...

I bought in on the same deal. I'd be interested in hearing about your results, as well as what types you ended up with (I ended up with mostly a bunch of tiny 2.5AH batteries).

I don't have a heat gun to try out on them. I was able to successfully pry one open with a screwdriver with minimal damage, though. Worked it under the lid, which took some work, and then just worked it around the sides. Not exactly ideal, but it's still usable.

Just be prepared to experience an unholy smell, if your experience is anything like mine. Try not to open it indoors or around people who can serve you divorce papers.

I bought in on the same deal. I'd be interested in hearing about your results, as well as what types you ended up with (I ended up with mostly a bunch of tiny 2.5AH batteries).

I don't have a heat gun to try out on them. I was able to successfully pry one open with a screwdriver with minimal damage, though. Worked it under the lid, which took some work, and then just worked it around the sides. Not exactly ideal, but it's still usable.

Just be prepared to experience an unholy smell, if your experience is anything like mine. Try not to open it indoors or around people who can serve you divorce papers.
ok, definitely have to take the folding plastic table outside and do it, hmm, I wonder what my nice neighbors will do when they see if doing this. Lawrd helf moi.....

Back