diy solar

diy solar

How to read AC out for L1 and L2 on MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50

SacRV

Using the VictronConnect app I'm only able to see L1 AC out. But there is no reading for L2 out. Is it possible to see what my L2 out is?

I've got the MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 in a 50 amp trailer connected to a 30 amp inverter. I'm using the SmartShunt 500A/50mV battery monitor. I also have the MPPT 150/85, solar panels and 4 BB batteries.

IMG_2161.PNG

As I understand it, L2 is just pass-through. When operating off 30A shore or off-grid, you only have L1 as L1 and L2 are bonded.

I was under the impression when running off our 30 amp generator I would only be getting 120v in on L1. But both L1 and L2 provide power out from the MultiPlus. I can power anything in the trailer off just the inverter and batteries.

Using the VictronConnect app I'm only able to see L1 AC out. But there is no reading for L2 out. Is it possible to see what my L2 out is?

I've got the MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 in a 50 amp trailer connected to a 30 amp inverter. I'm using the SmartShunt 500A/50mV battery monitor. I also have the MPPT 150/85, solar panels and 4 BB batteries.

View attachment 51233
There is no L2 on a 120V inverter...

Heh... now I’m caught up... sorry for the interruption...

There is a post on the Victron community board that a firmware update is coming to resolve this.

Found it:

from https://community.victronenergy.com...plus-ii-2x-120v-doesnt-show-full-ac-load.html

-------------------

mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ cory cantrell · May 16 2021 at 12:11 PM

Hi, yes there is an update: its been looked into.

Conclusion: its 99% sure that we'll be able to make it show data for L2 as well with a firmware update. And its being worked on already, but I expect that this will take several months minimum before its fully finished and released.

Changes to a lot of parts are required, ie the firmware for both microcontrollers in the inverter/charger, and firmware in one, or perhaps even two parts in the GX device.

And then I haven't even mentioned VictronConnect, VRM and Venus OS Gui yet..

-------------------

I can't see that L2 passes through the MP-II battery monitor, so I would guess they're going to use the current on neutral to extrapolate L2.

In split phase, N only carries a current when the legs aren't equal. If you have 10A on L1 and 10A on L2, N is 0. 10A on L1 and 0A on L2, N is 10A. The problem I see with this idea is that 10A on N could mean L1 is 10A and L2 is 0A OR L2 is 20A.

They're talking about up to 4 firmware updates to make this happen, and "several months" likely means 2022.

Found it:

from https://community.victronenergy.com...plus-ii-2x-120v-doesnt-show-full-ac-load.html

-------------------

mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ cory cantrell · May 16 2021 at 12:11 PM

Hi, yes there is an update: its been looked into.

Conclusion: its 99% sure that we'll be able to make it show data for L2 as well with a firmware update. And its being worked on already, but I expect that this will take several months minimum before its fully finished and released.

Changes to a lot of parts are required, ie the firmware for both microcontrollers in the inverter/charger, and firmware in one, or perhaps even two parts in the GX device.

And then I haven't even mentioned VictronConnect, VRM and Venus OS Gui yet..

-------------------

I can't see that L2 passes through the MP-II battery monitor, so I would guess they're going to use the current on neutral to extrapolate L2.

In split phase, N only carries a current when the legs aren't equal. If you have 10A on L1 and 10A on L2, N is 0. 10A on L1 and 0A on L2, N is 10A. The problem I see with this idea is that 10A on N could mean L1 is 10A and L2 is 0A OR L2 is 20A.

They're talking about up to 4 firmware updates to make this happen, and "several months" likely means 2022.
There was another further down that showed it and said they were further along than expected.

That was 5/16, and the follow-up was 6/1. I would be shocked if "several" months compresses to "a few weeks." Would be cool though.

Back