diy solar

diy solar

How to read QR codes on Lishen cells +other questions!

Sverige

A Brit in Sweden
I just received 4 Lishen 272Ah cells from Quishou and they all look nice, with perfectly flat sides and not a hint of swelling. I would quite like to read the QR codes to see what they tell me and whether the production date aligns with the sticker showing 2022/10/29.

Is there an app for that on iOS, or is it a case of deciphering the tiny, almost illegible writing to decode the text string?

All 4 cells are showing an identical 3.27V, which I take to be a good sign. I’m thinking instead of putting them in parallel and top balancing, I may put them into a 4S configuration and charge until the first cell peaks, to see if that tells me anything about which cell or cells have the highest and lowest self-discharge. This is based on the observation that resellers are known to charge cells to an even 3.30V before shipping and since they may vary in self discharge rate, I should probably take advantage of the month and a half they’ve been in transit to see what I can learn about that characteristic of the cells I’ve received.

In fact, thinking about it, I could charge them as 4S, remove the highest cell when it hits 3.55 (for example), then carry on with a 3S pack and do the same when the next highest identifies itself.. etc and in this way I’ll rank my 4 cells in descending order of self discharge.

A6FF1629-2BB1-41EC-B432-D58A6F392E98.jpeg
9E29C5BA-D697-43F7-A31A-896F94B670B4.jpeg
6012AE30-4149-44D5-9D90-61CAEB1C0EEB.jpeg

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to interpret all the numbers on this sticker which I assume Qishou put onto each cell?

The top line looks to be the production date, perhaps derived from the QR code. Middle line, I have no idea. Bottom line, is that a capacity test result in mAh? If so I’ve done well, as these are rated as 272Ah cells and these last numbers on the stickers range from 279,600 up to 282,700, so if it’s truly a capacity measurement they are all safely above 272Ah

DD32D6E6-8342-47D2-9E00-42A8881A4166.png

Does anyone know how to interpret all the numbers on this sticker which I assume Qishou put onto each cell?

The top line looks to be the production date, perhaps derived from the QR code. Middle line, I have no idea. Bottom line, is that a capacity test result in mAh? If so I’ve done well, as these are rated as 272Ah cells and these last numbers on the stickers range from 279,600 up to 282,700, so if it’s truly a capacity measurement they are all safely above 272Ah

View attachment 147776
The first line is a test date, second line is likely a batch code, line tester etc. The third line is the Ampacity. Do not put any faith in it, unless you confirm yourself. I'll look into the qr code in a bit.

I just received 4 Lishen 272Ah cells from Quishou and they all look nice, with perfectly flat sides and not a hint of swelling. I would quite like to read the QR codes to see what they tell me and whether the production date aligns with the sticker showing 2022/10/29.

So sadly on short notice that qr code is going to be non scannable. Phones in general don't do good with the white on silver, what I will have to do is edit it in gimp and make the qr actually black . Sadly also the text is cut off.
An example
GX3.2V-52-11_1000x3.jpgIMG_20230325_165040_HDR2.jpg

What I can do is show you what a proper string looks like and a what you'd be looking mainly for. Attached is a scan of another lishen 272ah qr

LiFePO4-Cells-QR-Codes-Decoder-GobelPower-com.png

The text under the qr code and what it scans as should start with "O8B" this is the manufacturer code for lishen. Next should be CB which is for lithium iron phosphate cells. Following that is PB which is the product code for lishen 272ah cells. Lastly that we will care about is the 14-16 characters, AAR in the example. This is the manufacture date in year, month day. A = 2020, A = Oct, R = 24th. BAR would be Oct 24 2021 for example. For Oct 29 2022 that would be CAW if I can math right.
Hope this helps a bit.

Also still top balance then properly, don't trust anything from Alibaba.

Edit years on codes were shifted by a year corrected, also added what the date code should read. Also that is at least the proper lishen qr format

Last edited:
Well as expected, they are not the newest cells . I spent the time to go over them with black lines in gimp. Manufacture date is 10/11/2020. I wouldn't count them out yet though. I did testing on 5-10 year old new cells and saw maximum 7-10% over a decade (small sample size). I'd move forward with a capacity test and balancing
Screenshot_20230504-150907_2.pngScreenshot_20230504-151039_2.png Lishen QR.jpeg

Edit, to make my self a little clearer. It looks like so far you got genuine EV grade Lishen 272Ah Cells that are New Old Stock.

Last edited:
Yep, it’s really hard to photograph those QR codes. I was actually hoping there might be an app I could use on my phone to see if it could read the QRs directly. What app are you using?

I won’t count them out if they’re 2020 cells, but I’d like to cross check and verify that if I can. Maybe I’ll lift the black insulation a little and try to read the text string.

Qishou have unequivocally stated the cells were manufactured 2022, both on their sticker fixed to the cells and in Alibaba chat prior to order, so I will certainly pull them up on them being 2020 cells, if confirmed.

thanks for all your help.

Yep, it’s really hard to photograph those QR codes. I was actually hoping there might be an app I could use on my phone to see if it could read the QRs directly. What app are you using?
Its for android only its LiFePoQr Battery Qr Scanner. Its not the most up to date some times but its easy to use., The other picture is just my phone camera auto scanning Qr codes. LiFePoQr will also do data matrix codes like the one I posted earlier.

Its for android only its LiFePoQr Battery Qr Scanner. Its not the most up to date some times but its easy to use., The other picture is just my phone camera auto scanning Qr codes. LiFePoQr will also do data matrix codes like the one I posted earlier.
Ok thanks. Sadly I’m on iOS. I’ll try to get the text code and decode that.

Using the native QR scanner built into the iOS camera app I’ve been able to copy to clipboard the text strings for all 4 cells, and then paste into the QR decoder at:

The Gobel site doesn’t provide full info for the QRs, but does confirm their manufactur dates as Oct-Nov 2020. Time for a conversation with Qishou as these were sold as brand new grade A (at over 30% price premium compared to other resellers offering the Lishen 272s).

I feel like I’ve been screwed over by Qishou, after paying extra to buy from because they have a reputation as a trustworthy seller.

The QRs, FWIW are as follows:

08BCBPB21AB011ABA1102147
08BCBPB21AB011ABN1105864
08BCBPB21AB011ABS1101053
08BCBPB21AA011AAM1104450

I resolved it with Qishou by agreeing a 15% part refund which will effectively bring down the price of the cells to $101 each plus shipping. Probably still on the expensive side for 2.5year old cells passed off as new, but it’s done now and I can move on and incorporate them into my system.

I’m pretty sure they’re going to perform just as well as my existing Lishen cells which were made in January 2020 anyway.

Last edited:
Back