diy solar

diy solar

How to recover an EG4 WP in protect mode?

Panhandler

TLDR: Need to get an EG4 WP out of protect status. How?

Hi all,

I installed two EG4 48v waterproof batteries in my camper along with two solar arrays, two Growatt inverters, and a Daygreen 48v to 13.6v stepdown converter to power 12v loads. One inverter powers one leg, the other powers the other leg. Initially with just solar, grid, and battery connected everything worked great. After turning on the battery switch to the converter, the EG4 connected to it went into "Protect" status according to the android app. I disconnected the converter and inverter from the battery. Four hours later the EG4 is still in "Protect" status and will not function. Because it's the waterproof EG4, there are no external controls.

1. Any idea what I need to do to get the battery out of protect mode and functioning again?
2. What puts the battery into protect mode? I'm assuming there's something wrong with the converter but I'd like to be sure.
3. What's the best way to step down 48v to 12v? I'd like at least 50amps for 12v.

Thank you!

Have you tried disconnecting the battery and putting in on a charger to "wake" it back up?

@jberger, I appreciate the suggestion. The battery is at 98% state of charge and has been disconnected for 36 hours. It's worth a try to connect it to a charger, although the battery does not need charging.

@SignatureSolarJames, @SignatureSolarRay, and @SignatureSolarUS - any suggestions?

I hope a future app update will allow more control over the BMS to force it to reset. Right now it's a little frustrating having a $1,700 80lb brick!

I have the exact same problem! Have you found a way to reset it? I ordered a charger but it won't be here until Monday! The struggle is real!

@jberger, I appreciate the suggestion. The battery is at 98% state of charge and has been disconnected for 36 hours. It's worth a try to connect it to a charger, although the battery does not need charging.

@SignatureSolarJames, @SignatureSolarRay, and @SignatureSolarUS - any suggestions?

I hope a future app update will allow more control over the BMS to force it to reset. Right now it's a little frustrating having a $1,700 80lb brick!
You are not connecting it to a charger for a charge cycle, you are connecting it so the BMS will reset.
Give it a try.

The same thing happened to mine When I turned on my inverter after hooking up three of them in parallel. Within a few minutes though they reset themselves and worked fine.

If you get yours working please check them during charging and post whether the cells are balanced or not. 2 of mine are not near balanced when charging and go into protect mode with cells in each around 3.4 volts.

Protect mode when charging is 3.9 for individual cells which seems to me to be way too high. That gives me around half a volt difference at the top. No way those cells were top balanced before assembled into the batteries.

David Poz didn't use a pre charge resistor and got a big spark so i figured the bms could handle it. When i hooked to my inverter it went into protect mode coma. The charger i ordered from ss isn't waking it up.

David Poz didn't use a pre charge resistor and got a big spark so i figured the bms could handle it. When i hooked to my inverter it went into protect mode coma. The charger i ordered from ss isn't waking it up.
Just a heads up, David Poz is known around here to be more of a video maker than a technical guy (like Will). He has a lot of sponsorship deals, and IMHO, isn't super knowledgeable about electronics, just enough to hook it all up.

I would skip his advice in the future, and just use his builds as general ideas.

Also, a precharge resistor is always a good idea.

I have a 30 ohm resistor. I'll always use it now. This has been a stress filled nightmare so far. Ss is testing and sending another charger. Fingers crossed. Thank you for the advice!

Last edited:
Is your battery still in protected mode?

I have 3 of the WP 48v batteries and two of them are not top balanced at all. When I would charge to 57.6v two of them would go into protected mode because one cell in each would hit 3.9v while still having several cells around 3.4 or so. So only one battery would still be functioning until there was a load on the inverter. Them when the voltage would drop the ”protected” batteries would turn back on.
Do you have a separate 48v bank you could hook in parallel with EG4 to your inverter and put a load on your inverter to pull the voltage down? That may turn it back on like mine.

My old bank is (NMC)s Nickle Magnese Cobalt. Bringing them up to 50 volts is already past the danger zone. They're from a 2014 Chevy Volt. I'm going to wait for the charger to arrive from ss. I'm not connecting anything to the battery except their charger just incase my only option is to return the battery.

UPDATE; I bought a variable charger and used it to awaken the bms. I then used it to bring my inverter up to match the voltage of the battery. Everything is hooked up and running properly. I bought a charger from Signature Solar but it is faulty and has a -5 (negative five volt) voltage reading at its terminals.

Back