diy solar

diy solar

How to run my coffee maker on a Growatt SPF3000TL LVM without errors

First, upgrade your shore power source. Use a heavier gauge power cable (10awg or thicker) along with a step up transformer at the source end and a step down transformer at the use end. This will allow you to put 240V across the looooong cable and cut the current (and thus the voltage drop) in half or more. Most extension cables are rated for 600V, so you may be able to replace the ends of your cable with 240V compatible ends (PLEASE do not keep the stock 120v end!)

Use two of these, one for each end:

That will probably solve the majority of your issues.

Second, configure the hybrid inverter with at least the following:
01 --> Utility first
02 --> 40A maximum charging current (don't want to boil your batteries...)
03 --> Appliance (65-140AC) - the coffee maker may take longer to heat up, but sags won't cause chaos
11 --> 40A - Let the utility constantly charge the battery
14 --> SNU - Both solar and utility charge battery
18 --> Enable overload bypass - some AC voltage is better than none, let the low voltage utility power things if the batteries are overwhelmed.
22 --> SbE - solar will provide power to battery and load, not just battery

Of course, if your equipment can't handle sags that low you might have to set 03 to UPS mode, but you might be pleasantly surprised at what your appliances can handle.

This won't help for when you have to operate without shore power. If that's not uncommon, consider adding an inverter generator to your setup or adding more battery capacity.

First, upgrade your shore power source. Use a heavier gauge power cable (10awg or thicker) along with a step up transformer at the source end and a step down transformer at the use end. This will allow you to put 240V across the looooong cable and cut the current (and thus the voltage drop) in half or more. Most extension cables are rated for 600V, so you may be able to replace the ends of your cable with 240V compatible ends (PLEASE do not keep the stock 120v end!)

Use two of these, one for each end:

That will probably solve the majority of your issues.

Second, configure the hybrid inverter with at least the following:
01 --> Utility first
02 --> 40A maximum charging current (don't want to boil your batteries...)
03 --> Appliance (65-140AC) - the coffee maker may take longer to heat up, but sags won't cause chaos
11 --> 40A - Let the utility constantly charge the battery
14 --> SNU - Both solar and utility charge battery
18 --> Enable overload bypass - some AC voltage is better than none, let the low voltage utility power things if the batteries are overwhelmed.
22 --> SbE - solar will provide power to battery and load, not just battery

Of course, if your equipment can't handle sags that low you might have to set 03 to UPS mode, but you might be pleasantly surprised at what your appliances can handle.

This won't help for when you have to operate without shore power. If that's not uncommon, consider adding an inverter generator to your setup or adding more battery capacity.
The transformers at each end are a great idea. Thanks.

I suspect the batteries. I don’t think they have what it takes.
Th 140 AH is probably at 100 hours.
Need to battery up or forget the inverter.

Specifications:
  • Group Size: 24DC
  • Part Number: 8-24MP
  • Cold Cranking Amps(CCA): 550
  • Cranking Amps(CA): 700 MCA
  • Reserve Capacity(RC): 140
  • Length: 11
  • Width: 6 7/8
  • Height: 9 1/2
  • Weight: 41
How do I get Ah from the above specs? I see the RC at 140 minutes -- I don't think that's Ah. The batteries not that big. If the RC is at 25 amps then the Ah is 25*140/60=58Ah

Lead acid batteries are generally good for half of the tagged rating.
So 70 Ah

A quick update. Based on overwhelming advice, I've decided to upgrade my batteries. I'll have a LiFeP04 battery pack with 100Ah (24V) and a voltage profile that should keep the Growatt happy (Above the 21V cutoff voltage). In hindsight, my batteries were undersized. I should get them installed next month.

I'm also considering switching to the Victron MultiPlus as it will boost sagging shore power with power from the batteries rather than just switch to run off batteries. Do any of you Victron users out there have any experience with that?

Last edited:
Back