diy solar

diy solar

How to Shunt .. Clarification on Purpose and Application

chadmichael

12v LiFePO mobile system. Currently, running an inverter and a fuseblock, fuseblock has 3 circuits.

I have a shunt, which I understand is to monitor battery metrics, primarly voltage and current. I guess I hadn't thought about it, but which circuit should it go on? They way the wiring diagam looks, its supposed to be injected into one of the negative wires from a load. I don't like the though of cutting my 2/0 inverter line to insert a shunt ... is it okay to put it on the fuse block negative. If I'm just using it to measure battery health/state, i.e. voltage, that seems fine. I guess the current measuring part is only going to tell me about my fuse block in this case.

is it okay to put it on the fuse block negative.
Anywhere on the current path from your battery before other loads are pulled off works to measure current. A picture would help clarify and confirm once you have made the connections. I assume you are talking about the main fuse that should be close to the battery negative terminal?

The shunt goes right next to the battery negative before anything else. It only provides useful data if everything goes through it.

battery positive -> main battery fuse -> positive bus bar
battery negative -> shunt -> negative bus bar

Everything else (such as inverter, charge controller, DC-DC converter, DC fuse block, etc.) all connect to the two bus bars.

In this order, on battery negative.
Cells/ BMS /shunt / loads and charging

The shunt goes right next to the battery negative before anything else. It only provides useful data if everything goes through it.

battery positive -> main battery fuse -> positive bus bar
battery negative -> shunt -> negative bus bar

Everything else (such as inverter, charge controller, DC-DC converter, DC fuse block, etc.) all connect to the two bus bars.
Thanks for the diagram, Fran9A19E33E-4D56-46AC-A440-EC86F9E529C4.jpeg

Back