diy solar

diy solar

How to size battery

bbradb

i am experimenting with setting up a simple solar system to replace electric meter at entrance sign to home development.

Been successfully with an older pair of 40 watt panels that I got free plus a 10 watt LED flood that is adequate for sign. I added good charge controller from Renogy and am using a 12v 54AH AGM battery that I acquired for nothing. Actually have two of these batteries that were removed from service after 5+ years of use as battery backups or something. I have tried individual batteries and also have parallelled them to try that. Obviously I am not getting full charge on these since I run sign light each night. I also feel my 2 panels would be best replaced with an 80 to 100 watt modern panel (mine are probably 10 years old or so from a portable RV charging system).

With poor sunlight this time of year I am struggling to keep enough charge in batter(ies). I'm thinking I should get a new battery properly sized. Since I've read that an 80 watt panel under the best conditions can charge a 35AH battery in a day, is this the proper size battery I should buy? Question is... Is it better to have an oversized battery in AH or one that is correctly sized for panels and load?

Size the battery based on the amount of power you need. If you are powering a 10W light for 14 hours a day then that is 140Wh/day. How many days do you need it to last to account for cloudy days? Let's say 3 days as an example. Then that's 3 x 140Wh/day = 520Wh. Since an AGM should only be used to 50% you would need 2 x 520Wh = 1040Wh. At 12V that would be 1040Wh / 12V = 87Ah. Adjust all of the numbers as needed to work out the battery size you really need.

For the solar you basically do the same. If you need 140Wh/day and this time of year you get maybe 1.5 solar hours you would need 140Wh / 1.5h = 93W of solar to replace the 140Wh you used in a day. But this needs to be adjusted up since you rarely get 100% out of solar panel and if you have a few cloudy days you would need more solar to replace all of the battery capacity used during the cloudy days.

To start, I would grab a marine deep cycle AGM from Walmart. Get the highest ah you can. Shoot for 100 amp hour. Old batteries are most likely a problem. You need enough solar to return the ampere hours you use from the battery.

Back