diy solar

diy solar

how to store a lithium battery for intermediate time periods.

dano147

Hello,

I am new to batteries and storing them. I have recently purchased a Bluetti EB150 for emergencies and camping in Oregon. We get some cold weather in the winter and some hot weather in the summer (20°f approx. outside temp) winter low (100°f approx outside temp) summer high. We also get a good amount of rain/snow and humidity. My house is not immune to having increased humidity inside when we reach the dew point outside (max about 70%-80% interior humidity). It will be store for up to 6 months at a time indoors without use during the off season of camping. I am wondering if there are any special precautions or actions I should take to help the battery last as long as it possibly can. What should I be looking out for in my storage space. are Are there any special materials I should store it in? Should I be storing it fully charged or partially charged? How often should I discharge the battery (if at all) for optimal cycle life?

Thanks in advance for the advice! (I know I have a lot of questions)

Last edited:
Cell general chemistry and composition of that particular manufacturer make a difference. I would consult the manuals or inquire directly of Bluetti first.

Generally speaking, storing at a 50% SoC is regarded as optimal for all situations, particularly in warmer/hot weather. It matters much less in cold weather as the reactions that cause loss are subdued.

If you are talking about Lifepo form of lithium then a charge of 50 to 60% is best.
Lifepo hate being floated at high SOC and can even be damaged if left at 100% SOC for long periods of time.
Lifepo love being cycled however. :)
I hope this helps. :)

Cell general chemistry and composition of that particular manufacturer make a difference. I would consult the manuals or inquire directly of Bluetti first.

Generally speaking, storing at a 50% SoC is regarded as optimal for all situations, particularly in warmer/hot weather. It matters much less in cold weather as the reactions that cause loss are subdued.
One drawback from using these LiFePo's [mainly] for emergency backup...when the time comes and you pull them out, they are around 50% SOC...it's hard to escape gas powered generators (I own a few and still rely on them as a goto). These portable power stations were designed for camping (charge up the night before), everyday living and/or SHTF...same with our lithium battery banks at home. They are great but there's still some work to do to keep everything running and healthy. I'm excited to know what will be available 5...10 years from now!

Reactions: Dzl
Back