diy solar

diy solar

How to store flooded lead acid batteries for 2+ years

Leo3

Solar and Wiring Newbie
I have a travel trailer w/ two cheap DEKA DP24 FLA batteries. I'm thinking of buying two LiFePo to drop in their place. But if I do, I want to store the lead acid batteries (currently less than 6 months old) and put them back into the trailer when I sell it so I can take the more expensive batteries with me to my next trailer. I just think I would not get my money's worth if I sell the trailer with the nicer batteries ($1,500) in a couple years (2-5 years maybe). There's no current plan to sell the trailer. The batteries would not be cycled much (TT is used for vacations and approx one weekend a month).

So, how do I store the FLA batteries for that long?

when you get around to actually buying the new ones sell the old ones

I've never tried storing what are basically dormant lead acid batterries (as in not being used to provide power to loads) but keeping them 'active' during this period seems key to their longevity. Oxymoronic in a way:

I've never tried storing what are basically dormant lead acid batterries (as in not being used to provide power to loads) but keeping them 'active' during this period seems key to their longevity. Oxymoronic in a way:

There are UPS applications of lead acid batteries where they are kept at a float voltage for 10 years waiting to provide backup power infrequently. These batteries retain 80% of their capacity over the years.

Cody's Lab says you can drain the acid and store the battery for years.

I didn't view the video, so I don't know how much detail they provided. Yes, they can be drained AFTER fully charging them. Store the acid in a suitable closed container and rinse the battery with distilled water (you can't leave any acid in it), dry it out and seal it up.

To me, the easy way is to put it on a shelf indoors and put a float charger on it. I can then forget about it for years.

I've always used a simple battery maintainer/ float charger on stored Motor cycle, trolling motor batteries, generator batteries, lawn mower batteries etc, etc.
They run from $20-$30 for a decent one.(avoid the Harbor freight cheapies) Battery tender brand name usually costs a bit more but mine are made by schumacher My wally world deep cycle battery is gong on 6 years old and still very strong. Same with the mower and genny batteries. Bought mine at Wally world in the battery section.

Last edited:
Some of the older HF chargers may not have had any regulation, but I'm happy with this one I got:

You can also disconnect everything, check battery with volt meter, recharge as needed.

Back