diy solar

diy solar

How to test lifepo4 cells and bms for damage?

Harmony5000

Hi all, recently started running a 206 ah SOK with a renogy 40a mppt cc. I believe the cc has been sending 17.5 voltage spikes during boost. How does one go about testing the battery cells and bms for damage? Thanks for your help!

The bms should protect the cells from these spikes, that's it job. This is when a bms with Bluetooth is nice you can see individual cell voltage.

The bms should protect the cells from these spikes, that's it job. This is when a bms with Bluetooth is nice you can see individual cell voltage.
I see. Yes the sok has bms. (Not Bluetooth) I heard another fella experienced this problem with renogy and the voltage spikes were short enough the bms didn’t catch them and had damaged cells. My battery never fully shut down. Maybe I’m in a situation where if it seems to work it works well enough? Idk still curious how one would go about testing without a Bluetooth.

In the case of suspected damage to the BMS, you can use the most primitive method to detect whether the battery is damaged. Use a multimeter to measure the voltage of the battery. If there is any abnormality, it means that there is a problem with the battery. Regarding the BMS, the BMS safety has always been quite good, but once it is damaged, it seems that it is more difficult for us to detect the problem by ourselves.

Update for anyone searching this. If you have an SOK you can open up the battery and test individual cell voltage. Current connected is saying the only way voltage spikes like this might occur if the fault is in the battery, is if the battery is over charged.

Back