diy solar

diy solar

How to test max output of inverter

corn18

Village Idiot
I was trying to test my system to see if my 2x12V 206Ah SOK batteries could max out my inverter. I was able to put a constant load of 2000W output (2378W input) on the inverter with my microwave and electric fireplace (on low). I hooked up my heat gun thinking I could adjust it to max out the inverter (Victron MultiPlus II 12/3000VA), but the dang heat gun acted like a microwave and just kept cycling on and off to set the heat. On high, it stayed on constant and at lower settings, it just cycled. This didn't work very well because when it kicked on the heating element, it popped my main circuit breaker.

Any other household appliances I can use that will draw about 1,000W and can be adjusted? Something I can bring to my camper.

EDIT:

Should I even do this test? If Victron says it's good for 3000VA (is that about 2400 real watts?), then I should just expect that. To be honest, I had so much crap turned on that I can never imagine using all that stuff at once on batteries. Just curious about the max output.

Last edited:
I would use resistance heat only to avoid power factor issues. Hairdryer? However I would consider the test complete at this point.

100w lightbulbs, wire up 5 or 6 of them such that you can turn on as many as needed to fine tune load if you really want to test your system for max capacity. But remember that’s just testing real power, PF of 1, if you have some motors/pumps with bad PF that’s where you’ll be able to show why you paid big bucks for that Victron.

A hair drier maybe another good option, my wife’s has a constant power consumption at low heat as well as high heat, something like 600w and 900w.

Almost sounds like you have too fancy a heat gun and didn’t opt for the $14 hobo freight, lol!

Back