diy solar

diy solar

How to use the Lithium battery for Growatt 3000TL LVM-24p?

big spring

I am working on the put the Growatt 3000TL LVM-24P in a van. It will be connected to lithium batteries. According to Growatt Manual, "if choosing Lithium battery for Growatt SPF series products, you are allowed to use the lithium battery only which we have configured", What does it mean? How do I know if the batteries have been configured by Growatt? I have 2 of 24v LIFEPO4 batteries bought from bigbattery.com (https://bigbattery.com/products/24v-hawk/). It seems there is no RJ45 port in the batteries. Could anyone give me any suggestion on how to use the Lithium battery for Growatt 3000TL LVM-24P? Thanks.

If you are using LiFePO4 batteries not from Growatt then configure battery type (setting #5) to "user". This allows you to adjust the absorption and float charge settings (settings #19, 20) to match your specific battery. See Will's thread for recommended voltage settings in the LiFePO4 forum...

Hi apctjb,

Thank you very much for your reply. Do you mean I can just configure the absorption and float charge settings in Growatt without connecting Growatt to batteries BMS with RJ45 port as suggested by the manual?

Thanks again

Correct. The Growatt Inverter only communicates with a Growatt battery bms. If using other batteries you don't need to connect the BMS.

I got . Could you give me the link to "See Will's thread for recommended voltage settings in the LiFePO4 forum" ? Thanks!

Correct. The Growatt Inverter only communicates with a Growatt battery bms. If using other batteries you don't need to connect the BMS.
Not trying to be pedantic, just very clear...you do need to connect a BMS to your LiFePO4 battery bank. You apparently do not need to connect that BMS to the Growatt unit via a communication cable, just adjust the Growatt parameters as advised above. I had the same concern about using custom built batteries when I saw that line in the Growatt Users Manual too. Has anyone actually connected up to the Growatt with a custom built battery to confirm this info? If so, how is it working for you?

Has anyone actually connected up to the Growatt with a custom built battery to confirm this info? If so, how is it working for you?

Not entirely clear what you are asking. I have 2 Growatt 3000 connected to LiFePO4 battery I built from EVE 280 cells. It works great. Absolutely amazed at how well these work...

I also have 1 Growatt 3000 with 8s 280ah EVE, Overkill BMS. No BMS communication is needed. Also depends on which model you get, the one I have doesn't even have a BMS port!

Not entirely clear what you are asking. I have 2 Growatt 3000 connected to LiFePO4 battery I built from EVE 280 cells. It works great. Absolutely amazed at how well these work...
Did you ever determine the cause of the shock from the system? I don't recall any update. Thanks.

Did you ever determine the cause of the shock from the system? I don't recall any update. Thanks.
Did you use a BMS on your battery pack? I understand the BMS in the Growatt only works with their batteries. I was curious as to the ability to top balance a 24v battery pack using the Growatt.

Did you use a BMS on your battery pack? I understand the BMS in the Growatt only works with their batteries. I was curious as to the ability to top balance a 24v battery pack using the Growatt.
You can use any BMS with a Growatt, it just won't communicate using the 485 port.

On the Growatt, you can set custom parameters for your battery bank using the USER setting.

All LFP battery banks should utilize a BMS unless you(extremely advanced user) set charge and discharge limits in such a way that cell damage wouldn't occur. It can be done, I'm not babysitting a battery bank though.

Any issue with a 18650 7s? I have recently buy SPF 3000TL LVM, and i have a voltaje mismatch. Also the growatts detect high voltaje on batt but my daly bms dont. Some times it shows a 125A charging and bms just cut.

Only 2 250watts panel are attached to the mppt controler in series

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG-20210527-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210527-WA0002.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 34
Any issue with a 18650 7s? I have recently buy SPF 3000TL LVM, and i have a voltaje mismatch. Also the growatts detect high voltaje on batt but my daly bms dont. Some times it shows a 125A charging and bms just cut.

Only 2 250watts panel are attached to the mppt controler in series

Thanks in advance

Not sure what's causing your issue, but you absolutely have an issue with your 18650 7S.

Your 0.202V differential between high and low cells means your battery is a total shit show. Bad. I mean Egon bad:

hi

I am new solar system and plan to buy the 5000ES, go through the manual, it is very complicated to use with Lithium battery as it requires a special connection, May i get help from this, is it only configuring the absorption and float charge settings for lithium battery and no need to use special connection cable for BMS as manual stated?

Ben

hi

I am new solar system and plan to buy the 5000ES, go through the manual, it is very complicated to use with Lithium battery as it requires a special connection, May i get help from this, is it only configuring the absorption and float charge settings for lithium battery and no need to use special connection cable for BMS as manual stated?

Ben
Unless you are using the Growatt lithium battery, you do not use the lithium settings in the Growatt unit, nor the 485 comm port for use with the GW BMS. Instead you will use the USE configuration and set the unit to your own specifications. You can find specs others have used in the forum, it depends upon your system battery bank. Like this post https://diysolarforum.com/threads/growatt-odd-behavior.22696/page-2#post-275018

hi
thanks, really help and make it simple for setting the Lithium battery

again , thanks a lot

Hello,.. I’m new to this forum,.. I have just purchased a growatt 3000tl lvm-48p unit and plan to use an older incell lithium battery with it, also 48v 100ah and I think it has a built in bms but not sure since I can’t find any info or manuals on this battery,.. I’m hoping someone on here can help me with the charge settings and I’m wondering if the built in bms will function on its own with the growatt unit when choosing USER battery type,... In hoping,.. because if not I want to make sure to hook it up SOMEHOW with a monitoring system because it’s not even lifepo it’s just plain lithium and I’ve read they can overheat and even explode,.. so I’m a bit worried,...

If you are using LiFePO4 batteries not from Growatt then configure battery type (setting #5) to "user". This allows you to adjust the absorption and float charge settings (settings #19, 20) to match your specific battery. See Will's thread for recommended voltage settings in the LiFePO4 forum...
Great advise, figured this out after trial and error myself after having difficulty getting my new EG4-LL 24v 200ah batteries to communicate with my Splot phase Growatt 3000TL ES. One note I'd add in my issue, I had to connect the ethernet cable running from the inverter into the CAN port of the batteries and inverter. Communication between the inverter and batteries wouldn't work while plugged into the rj45 connection. I also had to set (#36) setting to L51.

Back