diy solar

diy solar

How to utilize max AC Charge/Discharge with Growatt?

Thersom1948

This feels like an obvious newbie question:

1. The Growatt 24V SPF 3000TL LVM can support up to 60A AC input charging.

2. The Growatt 24V SPF 3000TL LVM can support up to 3000W @ 120VAC, or about 25 amps output.

How can I utilize this in a stand alone system? Meaning this will not be permanently grid tied (build is similar to the famous "hand truck" build video).

Problem 1: My house standard outlet circuits are only 20A (Except for Dryer, Stove, Hotwater).

Problem 2: The only AC stuff I can find at the hardware store claims a max 20A - This includes outlets, extension cords, etc. I can't even find a heavy duty power-strip that claims to rate to more than 20A. Unless you move up to dryer/stove speciality plugs, and even those are only 30A max in single phase.

In the build video Will is charging his at 40A with just a regular extension cord (that's probably not rated for 40A?) Does his house just happen to have 40A wall outlet circuits?

Am I just limited to 20A charging and 20A discharging in order to stay in the "limits" of the AC wiring and plugs?

Thanks!

The 60Amps is battery voltage... not 120V.

if the output of the growatt is connected to a distribution panel, several 15 amp devices can operate simultaneously getting you the 25 amps draw.

The 60Amps is battery voltage... not 120V.

Correct - I had that wrong. But it DOES allow up to 40A / 120VAC charging, so my question is the same I guess - am I limited to 20A? Could I wire in a range or dryer plug instead? Both? (only using 1 at a time obviously)

if the output of the growatt is connected to a distribution panel, several 15 amp devices can operate simultaneously getting you the 25 amps draw.

Gotcha. For a semi-portable setup that will be installed in a trunk/battery box are there any small and easy AC distribution boxes? All the standard ones I've seen seem like way overkill.

edit: trunk, not truck!

Thanks!

Correct - I had that wrong. But it DOES allow up to 40A / 120VAC charging, so my question is the same I guess - am I limited to 20A? Could I wire in a range or dryer plug instead? Both? (only using 1 at a time obviously)

Gotcha. For a semi-portable setup that will be installed in a truck/battery box are there any small and easy AC distribution boxes? All the standard ones I've seen seem like way overkill.

Thanks!
If the range or dryer are 120V, then they could hook to it, but not if they are 240V.

my SPF 3000TL includes an option to transfer to grid on overload. Meaning you can only run ~3kw off battery (inverter) however it will grid pass through a larger load draw. (Its a bit unclear as to how much, In theory up to the 50a that is the recomended breaker as specified in the manual for my unit)

Back