diy solar

diy solar

How to wire AC panel to a 3000w inverter / AC in only vs AC out + in

moonlitsouls

Hey guys so ive been doing a lot of upgrades to the RV ,

Currently i have a simple inverter with no ac hardwire capability , i want to upgrade that and hardwire my main ac panel to the inverter so that all my ac loads are ready to go at all times.

* I have a single phase 30amp service , 45a converter charger and a 30a transfer switch *

currently , in order for my microwave, outlets or air conditioner to turn on , i need to either connect to shore power or turn on the generator, id like a device that i can use 24/7 to power all my ac loads , including my air conditioner. it seems i need a 3000w inverter capable of a 6000w surge (based on the surge wattage of the

so heres where im getting confused

There is inverter only products like the kreiger 3000w for example that only has one ac input , neutral hot and ground. Ok so in that case , how does that even work?

Then you have something like the multiplus , it has ac in/ ac out. I like that i can connect the mutiplus using the bluetooth dongle , but my stock charger works fine so im not sure i need to spend $1300 to accomplish what i want here

Anyway , i just need some help picking the right product and understanding exactly how to wire the ac wiring. Im pretty sure the wiring from the Shore power / generator feeds directly into the ac panel

Any inverter that doesn't have the built-in ability for a hard-wired output connection shouldn't be considered.

Any inverter that gets wired into your main AC distribution panel is going to cause a loop with your existing AC-DC converter. That is one reason that many people go with an inverter/charger (and ditch the converter) instead of just the inverter.

The input to the inverter/charger will come from your Automatic Transfer Switch. The AC output from the inverter/charger will go where the output of the ATS used to go.

I'm in the same situation that you are. I am in the pricing phase to get a Victron Multiplus 12/3000/120. It will replace my 1000 watt inverter as well as the AC-DC converter that charges the LiFePO4 battery bank. I already have some Victron equipment and the Multiplus will integrate well with that.

Hey guys so ive been doing a lot of upgrades to the RV ,

Currently i have a simple inverter with no ac hardwire capability , i want to upgrade that and hardwire my main ac panel to the inverter so that all my ac loads are ready to go at all times.

The inverter will have a draw on the bank at all times, so you need to add extra PV to run the inverter.

* I have a single phase 30amp service , 45a converter charger and a 30a transfer switch *

currently , in order for my microwave, outlets or air conditioner to turn on , i need to either connect to shore power or turn on the generator, id like a device that i can use 24/7 to power all my ac loads , including my air conditioner. it seems i need a 3000w inverter capable of a 6000w surge (based on the surge wattage of the

Whether or not you will be able to run air conditioning depends upon the unit and how many watts it takes on surge. I can run my current roof air but it takes 1200w. That's 50a on 24V, draws 280Ah battery down in just over 4 hours, if I ran it that long. I am replacing with a mini split to reduce Ah's needed to run air conditioning.

You might consider an upgrade first, then determine what the largest load will be on solar.

so heres where im getting confused

There is inverter only products like the kreiger 3000w for example that only has one ac input , neutral hot and ground. Ok so in that case , how does that even work?

Then you have something like the multiplus , it has ac in/ ac out. I like that i can connect the mutiplus using the bluetooth dongle , but my stock charger works fine so im not sure i need to spend $1300 to accomplish what i want here

Before you buy anything, you should look at what the max wattage needed will be. If possible, load reduction before installing solar is always the first choice as you can utilize a smaller system and spend less on it.

As for the stock AC to DC converter, it most likely will have a charging profile incompatible with LFP batteries. Might be better to charge with a unit with parameter settings for LFP.
Anyway , i just need some help picking the right product and understanding exactly how to wire the ac wiring. Im pretty sure the wiring from the Shore power / generator feeds directly into the ac panel

Any inverter that doesn't have the built-in ability for a hard-wired output connection shouldn't be considered.

Any inverter that gets wired into your main AC distribution panel is going to cause a loop with your existing AC-DC converter. That is one reason that many people go with an inverter/charger (and ditch the converter) instead of just the inverter.

The input to the inverter/charger will come from your Automatic Transfer Switch. The AC output from the inverter/charger will go where the output of the ATS used to go.

I'm in the same situation that you are. I am in the pricing phase to get a Victron Multiplus 12/3000/120. It will replace my 1000 watt inverter as well as the AC-DC converter that charges the LiFePO4 battery bank. I already have some Victron equipment and the Multiplus will integrate well with that.
thanks a lot .

pulled the trigger on a used 3000w multiplus , and yes we are in the exact same situation , im also replacing my 1100w inverter ha. Picked one up off craigslist for 900 shipped. This stuff is fun but expensive , now i need a bluetooth dongle and another device to update the firmware

what are your thoughts on the lynx distributor ? i have been using the cheap anl fuses and holders and i think i might just suck it up and get the lynx

pulled the trigger on a used 3000w multiplus , and yes we are in the exact same situation , im also replacing my 1100w inverter ha. Picked one up off craigslist for 900 shipped. This stuff is fun but expensive , now i need a bluetooth dongle and another device to update the firmware

what are your thoughts on the lynx distributor ? i have been using the cheap anl fuses and holders and i think i might just suck it up and get the lynx

My Victron equipment gets updated through bluetooth from the Victron Connect app.

I'm not a fan of the Lynx, but mainly because it looks like over-glorified bus bar. Maybe if I had one to play with I would change my mind.

My Victron equipment gets updated through bluetooth from the Victron Connect app.

I'm not a fan of the Lynx, but mainly because it looks like over-glorified bus bar. Maybe if I had one to play with I would change my mind.

Since you're also looking for a mutliplus , take a look at this

They make you buy this just to update the firmware on the device , kinda lame

In the bluetooth dongle manual, they make it sound like the Multiplus firmware can be updated through the dongle from Victron Connect.

i think the other device allows more extensive programming , and ofc the ability to update the firmware . im sure the stock presets will be fine for me , and i think you can set current limits from shore power using the ve bluetooth dongle

im going to do some more research to see how the programming comes from the factory , but , i feel like , if there is a bettter version of firmware , i should have it. i may not do much programming at all , but i do want the latest firmware

Back