diy solar

diy solar

How to wire BMS that Will P was so excited about!

Gnubie, Et Al......isn't this what Will P Show in his utube? Parallel in cells and then hooking those sets in series to make 12v.

Batt parallel config .png

So, Okay George, I think you're telling me that I screwed up buying the Single BMS With blue tooth and many other Features to monitor a 12V system?
I assumed we were talking 8 cells. With 16 cells & 1 BMS to result in one 24 volt battery:
  1. Assemble 8 pairs of cells pos to pos & neg to neg.
  2. Once you have the 8 pairs.
    1. Arrange them as I described above alternating each pair vs each cell.
    2. This is the preferred arrangement with LiFePo4 cells (2p8s) with 1 BMS vs (8s2p) with 2 BMS's
Merry Christmas to you!

To be completely clear.

If you are setting up a 4S 12ish volt arrangement, you must only have 4 cells or banks of cells monitored.

If your bms is a 48v bms, unless it can disregard the other 12 conductors, it will not work for you.

If you arrange the bank for 16S 48v, you can monitor the bank that way, but you will need a regulated power supply for the 12v draws in the vehicle, and a 48v inverter and charge controller.

He has the 3.2 lifepo4 cells from lion energy. They are 50AH capacity each

So I'm still not understanding. As shown before I have two 4 cell batteries and if I connect them in series I will have an 8 cell package that I want to monitor, yes? The "8 Strings" wiring diagram seems to be appropriate, if not what have I missed?

It's the day before Christmas......so don't struggle with an immediate response.
so what voltage do you want? 48 volts? 24 volts or 12 volts ?

I require 12V as the out put from my LifeP04 cells. I can be happy with monitoring just the pared cells rather than individual cells and get on with life, yes? Some have even suggested you don't even need a BMS, but I'm not giving up yet!

Then put 4 cells in parallel build four that way then put the four blocks in series then you will end up with a 12 volt 200 amp hour battery. Then pick up a 4S BMS for lifepo4 3.2 volt cells. You will need to come up with the connects to do this because the ones you have are to set up a 12 volt 8 cell set up.

Last edited:
Then put 4 cells in parallel build four that way then put the four blocks in series then you will end up with a 12 volt 200 amp hour battery. Then pick up a 4S BMS for lifepo4 3.2 volt cells. You will need to come up with the connects to do this because the ones you have are to set up a 12 volt 8 cell set up.
Yes TEP, this is your solution if you have 16 cells and want a 12 volt battery. This is by far the simple solution.

Okay so I Have sketched 4 Packs of 4 cells each. Each RED button is the Positive for the cell and the Pack. The individual cells are all connected positive to positive and negative to negative. (When I cut a pasted from PowerPoint the Buss bars disconnected, oops!)

I did just like Will said and arranged 4 cells ea. in parallel and then connected the four packs in series to get to the 200amp 4S battery.

With that accomplished, What would Folks suggest for the BMS listed on EBAY?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBD-smart-...62:m:miP2rb7g-wSJj_qQSQ6izkg&var=493436106469

The more i look at this the more my head hurts.

I only get to the "left half, two cells" of CELL 1. They are not even connected to the other 14 cells...
Is this better? I think this was the O.P.'s goal. (double check me, it is still early)

Capture.PNG

Back