diy solar

diy solar

How will we pay for road maintenance if everyone has an EV and no-one pays gas taxes any more?

IF this was stopped & redirected to where it should be, it would be a lot simpler, it's just redirecting the money that is already being tossed out.

$20+ Billion a Year from USA alone = a Lot of Road & Infrastructure work !
WHY subsidize companies turning over record profits ? Ahhh to be a Lobbyist raking in the percentages for monies lobbied.

BACCO TAXES ! Ohh what a mess THAT is.... When everyone & their dog smoked in 1970 and the Governments were collect 25%+ of every single pack sold, they were raking it in by the truckload !. Picture that 200 Million packs of smokes a day were sold, $1 per pack goes to Government, that's 200 Million Dollars a day income - That is 73 Billion a Year ! Now current taxes on a pack are much higher and less packs are being sold and the Government has NEVER effectively replaced that revenue stream. The end result was reduced Public Spending which those Tobacco Taxes paid for and now you see the result of it with decaying infrastructure & eternally reducing services... it's called Consequences....
That's you making some bad guesses. There have never been that many packs per year sold in the US, not even close and annual tax revenue today is substantially higher than when tax rates were substantially raised and total taxes have never approached anything close to $73B

That's you making some bad guesses. There have never been that many packs per year sold in the US, not even close and annual tax revenue today is substantially higher than when tax rates were substantially raised and total taxes have never approached anything close to $73B
Here are sales of cigarette chart since 1970...

Attachments

• ch5f2.jpg
    ch5f2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 9
P
But that's California.
Here in New Mexico, if they introduced a state wide emissions or safety check you would take at least 50% of the vehicles off the road overnight. :ROFLMAO:
Oh man too true. I've never seen such lax standards. 1 of each light is all they required when I lived there. 1 headlight, 1 brake light, doors and windshields seemed optional.

P

Oh man too true. I've never seen such lax standards. 1 of each light is all they required when I lived there. 1 headlight, 1 brake light, doors and windshields seemed optional.
Driving sober is also optional.

Attachments

• 050221Pickuponcourthousesteps.jpg
    050221Pickuponcourthousesteps.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 9
RE: 45North....

How will we pay for road maintenance if everyone has an EV ..... and,​

heading for a crunch or am I missing something?

---------NMNeil knows which way the wind is blowing with the observation:
government will likely be tracking your usage via V2X

45N.......You may have missed......more than 10 years ago....G planning for Intelligent Roadways,
802.11 P and many, many taxes.
For every mile; almost anyone drives.

Almost all new cars have been ready for 802.11 P..... mobile WiFi, and the remaining few will be retrofitted with an add-on that plugs into the ODB2 port.
You May Rest at Ease.
Certainty = D + Taxes

TF Mobile Solar

Some are saying tax the big 18 wheeler truck much more, automobiles and EVs don't do as much wear, it's unfair!

Have you considered that the 18 wheelers are transporting the good to stores/etc. that YOU are going to and buying in the end? Whether they tax you directly or the semis, no matter what you are the one that will be paying. You would see an increase in the cost of things such as groceries because businesses have to increase their prices if their costs (of trucking) increase...

The price of goods always goes up. Money for infrastructure has to come from somewhere. What is the difference if the cost is added to the price of an item or collected as a tax on the item?

Before the interstate system in the US, most long-haul transport of goods was by railroad or barge/ship. The entire long-haul trucking industry has been built up around the US interstate system. It seems only fair to tax big trucks, especially since they are also the ones doing most of the damage to the infrastructure. Those who use it the most should pay the most.

EVs probably don't cause much wear to the roads but they do use many of the benefits. It will be interesting to see where this goes.
I'm not excited about someone monitoring my use of self generated energy.

We couldn't possibly generate enough electricity in the US to power 100% electric vehicles, not even close... Would need massive Fusion, or orbital Solar arrays to supply that much power.
Correct. California cannot even handle air conditioning at this point. Once we all go GREEN, the entire grid will need to be upgraded, and Nuke or Coal plants built.
But since nobody wants a Nuke plant near them, it will be MANY more coal plants.
Therefore, Green is actually dirtier, and more costly in the long run.

Just like Global warming is from the Sun, not farts.

The Federal gas tax hasn't been raised since 1993, so because of inflation, it's not enough to cover road maintenance. In most states, it covers less than 50% of costs, in many states it's less than 1/3, and in Alaska it covers only 6.9%: https://taxfoundation.org/states-road-funding-2019/ So the truth is that cars, gas or electric, don't really pay for road maintenance. In states where they've implemented special EV fees, EVs are probably paying even more than gas cars for road maintenance.
The fairest way to fix this problem is to implement a per mile fee that's adjusted for the weight of the vehicle. Most of the damage is probably done by trucks hauling cargo, but can you imagine how politically unpopular it would be to tell big corporations that their trucks need to pay their fair share of road maintenance? And that's how the rest of us gets stuck with their tax bill. The notion of EVs not paying for road maintenance, while having an ounce of truth, is really a huge distraction from the real root cause of the issue.
Trucks bring your food to the store. Tax them more, and your food price goes up.

EVs probably don't cause much wear to the roads but they do use many of the benefits. It will be interesting to see where this goes.
I'm not excited about someone monitoring my use of self generated energy.
Wait until those political geniuses figure out that you should pay a tax for sunshine, don't laugh...

California cannot even handle air conditioning at this point.
The issue here is not power generation, it's the fact that PG&E has neglected their lines in many areas, so WIND in summer/fall blows down the lines and starts fires. BTW, wind generation is a pretty significant amount of power in CA, at least areas I'm most familiar with the fire issues.

Some are saying tax the big 18 wheeler truck much more, automobiles and EVs don't do as much wear, it's unfair!

Have you considered that the 18 wheelers are transporting the good to stores/etc. that YOU are going to and buying in the end? Whether they tax you directly or the semis, no matter what you are the one that will be paying. You would see an increase in the cost of things such as groceries because businesses have to increase their prices if their costs (of trucking) increase...

Actually, I like that idea.
If you buy Florida oranges, you should pay for the roads between here and there.
If your oranges are delivered from a local farmer by ox cart, you can pay for the hay.

If you drive a car burning fuel from Saudia Arabia, you can pay for the military defense of the waterways.
(No need for subsidy of PV or EV, just eliminate this subsidy of foreign oil.)

Actually, I don't think we should defend foreign-flagged ships.
If it is a US vessel, the US Navy should defend it. Plus any from nations with a suitable contract of mutual defense.
But if someone flies a foreign flag on their vessel to avoid paying our taxes, they can contract for their own defense from someone else.
Use to be the US had a ship building industry, and there were US ships. Not any more.

Couple of comments about Power Line Neglect and corridor maintenence... I'd remind folks, that up until not that long ago, power companies used to spray Agent Orange and other "Defoliants" along their corridors to reduce/kill off vegetation as a control means. Once those nasty chemicals were made illegal everywhere, there has been no other means than to clear the corridors manually. Of course No Power co wants to pay the extra for that so they do the minimum required, and everyone knows how that works out.

Food Costs related to Shipping/Transport. Next time in the grocery store, look at "where" everything comes from ! How many thousands of miles did it travel to get to you ? Could it not have been grown locally, regionally, nationally ?

CA went through this in the mid 1980s. The air quality improved significantly. Still lots of room for improvement to be gained from the fast selling EVs.

Remember how the USA dominated the growth of the auto industry in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's ? (and the prosperity that created)
The dominance in EV production is poised to reside in China, with a hard line Communist regime.
Along with all production of renewable energy infrastructure. (Remember Solyndra)

Last edited:
The issue here is not power generation, it's the fact that PG&E has neglected their lines in many areas, so WIND in summer/fall blows down the lines and starts fires. BTW, wind generation is a pretty significant amount of power in CA, at least areas I'm most familiar with the fire issues.
Yeah, that didnt work out well for Texas in the snow.

Yeah, that didnt work out well for Texas in the snow.
Yeah, IF ONLY they had Winterised the Wind Turbines... But not just that, they should have also Winterised the Natual Gas Pipeline valves & moisture extraction systems as well which ALL Froze up and stopped the Gas flowing to their Gas Generating systems... Never mind the FACTS .

Back