diy solar

diy solar

How would you build an e-dirtbike battery?

offgriddave

Solar Enthusiast
I was exploring some ideas and came across people building their own electronic dirt bikes
Some of the kits talk about 3000w and 5000w motors.

Here's a sort of a dump of various specs and data on motor kits, over at endless sphere

Check out some of the requirements

----
Life Time of QS Motor & Warranty of Sample
The Life Time of motor depends on usage.
For general usage, it's about 3-5 years, and it could be 5-7 years if it work in good condition.
For testing and abusing usage, the lifetime will decrease accordingly.
E.g., For 3kW V2/V3 motor, the peak power could be 6kW (2 times of rated power).
Situation 1:
We suggest peak 70-80A battery current for general usage (72V). It's most stable configuration & longest life time.
Some EV enthusiast adjust it to be 150A, the output power is far more than 6kW peak. QS Motor could also work,

which might not as stable as former situation. For a long time in high current/power, the motor might over heat & even burnt.
We strongly suggest to install Thermic Probe (e.g. KTY 83/122), so that controller will protect motor due to the temp inside of motor.
Situation 2:
The peak speed of 1pc 3kW motor is 80KPH in 72V(for e-scooter).
Some EV enthusiast adjust it to be 96V, the max speed might be 100KPH, the continuous output power is far more than 3kW rated (maybe equal to 5-6kW).
QS Motor could also work, which might not as stable as it in 72V.
We call it over voltage/abusing usage, the life time might be shorter, and V3 will work better than V2.

----

got me thinking, how would one even go about building an e-dirt bike battery? You would need small compact and high voltage high amperage cells arranged in a very special way. I tried to research this more, but couldn't find anyone giving the details on their custom battery build

From above, 72v at 70 amps. For Lithium Ion 18650, nominal 3.7 -- 72v is about 19S. A single row of, lets say top of the line Panasonic 9w, would yield 171wh. Enough to power a 3000w motor for 2 minutes! For twenty minutes I calculate over a hundred batteries. Might be do-able, but the range would be low.

Do they even make a 19S BMS? Would you have to build a custom BMS? Is there some universal BMS system out there you could adapt?

Curious DIY'ers, How would you go about tackling this battery build?

a 3kw motor in a electric scooter does not operate continuously at 3000w, unless you only drive on endless steep up-hills

Hi Dave, I know your post is old, but how did you get on?

How I found this post? I searched the forum for "72V on scooter", and 4 posts came up, relevant is only this one, yours. :)

I have only just bought my first electric vehicle, and it's a scooter/motorbike type. Fat wheels. From China, like everything except our relatives. :)
BUT: it comes with one 60V 20Ah Li-on. I don't want that.
My plan is, once I get the bike (Monday), to quickly "organize" somehow a 72V 40Ah LiFePo4. Ideally. (I don't like the environmental harm of Li-on). I am happy to trade the small reduction in energy density for > tripled lifetime, and the environmental factor.

I am wondering, where do all those people in youtube videos get all those cartons full of 18650 etc from?
I seached endlessly online, countless search terms, made in-depth aliexpress searches, but found nothing suitable:
All I found is, batteries in small numbers that would add up to >2000 $/£/€, which is >2x of what a complete, new, battery costs, of these specs.

So, I am confused.

Back