diy solar

diy solar

How would you build this battery?

KTM-Guy

First time battery builder, and am confused about battery compression. I have this space in my camper that is waisted and would be a great place to put a battery. It would free up a lot of space where the AGM is now. It’s a small teardrop camper I built.

I’m planning an EVE 230AH battery from Amy Z.

5364CC7F-787C-4A49-B197-D0883D4BC7CA.jpeg

45431024-16C5-4199-BA99-A5BEF28537A7.jpeg
I was planning to build a case to hold the battery to protect it and have a way to mount it securely. The camper goes off-road so things get bumped around a lot. I have a table that fits in front that will also help protect the battery. I am planning on using Anderson plugs to make it easy to remove since this tongue box gets very hot in the Arizona summers. I’ll store the battery in the house when not being used.

My power usage is not very big, under 20 AH per day on a heavy use day. But because of the small teardrop I don’t have much room for solar installed or deployable. I do carry two 100 watt panels.

Any ideas on how I should build this?

Thanks
Todd

I would string them out like you show. I would also limit your charging to about 3.5v or less per cell. You will probably have a bit of expansion, but considering your load, should really not be a real problem. The cells will probably not last as long if not compressed, but I think they will last longer than your camper. Make sure you have a BMS.

Should be a fun project and again, I think your setup will work just fine.

You might put 1/2" of closed cell foam under them to be more bump friendly. Also, either build a frame so they can't move relative to each other or use flexible cables rather than bus bars. Rigid bus bars will put stress on the terminals if any cell tries to move relative to the one it is connected to.

My first temptation would be that it looks like you could fit a second set of cells in the space. Maybe save that for another time.
I just used plywood ends with two loops of zip ties to give light to moderate compression. Might be easier to go 2x2 for compression vs the 1x4 as shown.

+1 for closed cell packing foam to reduce the vibration impact. I used none but my trailer does not go very far off pavement and is heavier.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Great ideas. I think I will use the packing foam that come with the cells for padding. I’m thinking of an Over Kill BMS. I’ll keep an eye out at my local metal suppler remnants for some aluminum for a case or frame.

Do I need to worry about low temperature for discharging? I know can’t charge below 32 degree (0c). We do camp with night temps in the mid teens.

Thanks again
Todd

Back