diy solar

diy solar

Howdy! Considering Bluetti AC200 Max

trj

Hello,

I found this site after watching many of Will's excellent youtube system building videos- they are awesome, thanks Will!

I'm looking into a powerstation with which I could run a compressor (my Makita 5200 compressor draws 110Volts x 13.8amps = 1518Watts). The powerstation I purchase will also double for camping use as well. So my base requirement is for a powerstation that can support 1518 Watts (and I think that number includes compressor startup/induction).

I'm considering the Bluetti AC200 Max based off my power requirement above, and I may also want to use the powerstation for home use/backup use, and based on the numbers (2048Wh, 2200W Continuous, 4800W Surge, 900 Watts Solar Input ) and cost (~$1,700), it seems to be one of the best choices or best in class at this time - please let me know if that is not so.

I ruled out the Jackery 1500, and Ecoflow Delta (wow that is a nice system, just wish it had Lifepo4 batteries) due to Lithium Ion Batteries. I looked at the Inergy, but that is out of the running because after watching a review video, the unit seemed unable to come apart as designed and then fall apart while reviewed. The Oukitel P2001 also seems like it may be a very good choice (I didn't find any youtube videos that showcased Bluetti vs Oukitel), but the Bluetti package overall still seems to have the best performance numbers at roughly the same cost.

I wouldn't mind also picking up the solar panels from Bluetti as well, but for the package cost just to add those, it seems very expensive upgrade at about $1,300 for just 600 Watts of solar panels, and it seems like the could be some alternatives to use with the AC200 Max other than Bluetti's solar panels.

I agree with Will's assessment that the Bluetti's cables seem a bit all over the place, and when stacking, it's not really a secured stackable unit, and it becomes a bit unwieldly if one expands it, but for myself that is a bit of the "down the road" dilemma (if I use for home and expand). I hope Bluetti resolved some of the issues Will pointed out (were firmware upgrades for this model provided to resolve the issues?), and I saw that some had raised those same questions ("Did Bluetti resolve the screen lockup?") on his youtube review (published on 8/20/2021 about 7 months ago) and Will mentioned it should take about 1/2 year to sort out and upgrade which would be just about now) but I'm not sure they have been addressed by Bluetti at this time (I will look on this forum).

If anyone has suggestions of any other manufacturers or packages that should be considered over the Bluetti AC200 Max, then I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!
trj

I was just getting ready to post about the Bluetti AC200 Max myself as I am looking to purchase one. I was wanting to know if anyone has had any issues like the often reported display problems. I also read in many places how bad the customer service is. I just wanted to know if anyone in this forum has had of these or other issues.

I have the AC200p plus B230 piggyback battery.

Fwiw, don't bother with the Bluetti panels. Most any other less costly panels can work. I chose to get 5 Rich 200w panels. They don't fold, but they are easily moved inside and outside if needed. I hook them up in series and am generating power in about 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Ok thanks very good to know on your choice of panels. I haven't purchased anything yet. Have you had issues with Bluetti's customer service? Seems like it may be somewhat limited or non-existent in terms of response. Thanks!

Hello @trj We are using the Bluetti AC200MAX out in the shop. It is working flawlessly. The screen has not malfunctioned or locked up. We have their cable set and have used them all while experimenting and learning and we've set the unit up all sorts of ways, like two strings of PV on the two different inputs, best way to charge an external battery, etc.

We decided on Bouge RV 180-watt 9BB panels because there were in stock, and we could order them from amazon with free shipping.

Hello @trj We are using the Bluetti AC200MAX out in the shop. It is working flawlessly. The screen has not malfunctioned or locked up. We have their cable set and have used them all while experimenting and learning and we've set the unit up all sorts of ways, like two strings of PV on the two different inputs, best way to charge an external battery, etc.

We decided on Bouge RV 180-watt 9BB panels because there were in stock, and we could order them from amazon with free shipping.
Very cool! Good to know, thank you for the info on the panels, very helpful!

Thanks for the info. Waiting now for a sale that actually gets the price down a little to grab one. They always send emails for sales, but the price of the AC 200 Max is always $1899.00 sale or not.

X2 on the Rich Solar panels. I have 4 100W (along with 2 Renogy 100 watt) connected in series with my Ac200max and a B300.
May I ask what your charge time is the your set up? I know that is near impossible to answer, but say you have 50% SOC, what is the approximate cahrge time with you panels. I have 10 HQST 100W panels and I would over panel a little (keeping voltage below 145V), and would like to know what kind of charging performance you have in a real world scenario. I am thnking that Bluetti specs will not reflect actual use. Thanks in advance.

May I ask what your charge time is the your set up? I know that is near impossible to answer, but say you have 50% SOC, what is the approximate cahrge time with you panels. I have 10 HQST 100W panels and I would over panel a little (keeping voltage below 145V), and would like to know what kind of charging performance you have in a real world scenario. I am thnking that Bluetti specs will not reflect actual use. Thanks in advance.

My Bluetti showed 740 watts max being generated when I had 1kw of panels hooked up, and that is what I was told and read is reasonable.

You should see somewhere the same with your 1kw of panels, assuming that everything is in proper working order.

Unfortunately I don’t know. I got far enough to test the charging for about an hour or so but not to top off the batteries from a deep DoD. I doubt 600 W would come close, but it’s what I have right now.

If you are able to test with your 1000 W setup I’d like to hear about the results.

My Bluetti showed 740 watts max being generated when I had 1kw of panels hooked up, and that is what I was told and read is reasonable.

You should see somewhere the same with your 1kw of panels, assuming that everything is in proper working order.
My panels are under two years old, have had little use and stored inside. I want to get more use out of them and thought this would be the way to go.

I would finally be able to use them with my RV, and that has been my goal the whole time. Thanks for your input, it was a big help and I think this has solidified my decision.

I have the AC200p plus B230 piggyback battery.

Fwiw, don't bother with the Bluetti panels. Most any other less costly panels can work. I chose to get 5 Rich 200w panels. They don't fold, but they are easily moved inside and outside if needed. I hook them up in series and am generating power in about 5 minutes.
What cable do you use to connect the B230 to the 200p? Do the panels charge both simultaneously?

Anyone using the following Solar Panels: Planing on 3 x 100 Renogy

Black Division 100W Lightweight Monocrystalline Solar Panel​

EcoFlow just relaesed the Delta 2 with lifepo batteries so it might be worth a second look. FWIW I got 4x120w small panels and then got full-size 4x315w panels. I rent so it’s a temporary installation and use the 200Max daily. The 315w panels are not portable but you can get them for a little bit more than the smaller 100w panels. They are big and heavy but run like a dream in full sun and low light and charge up my 200Max in 3 or so hours. I run both sets in series, parallel to both the inputs for the max. I didn’t recommend the 100w ones for a fixed installation, poor low light condition performance and don’t put enough out to fully charge the batteries for daily use.

Last edited:
EcoFlow just relaesed the Delta 2 with lifepo batteries so it might be worth a second look. FWIW I got 4x120w small panels and then got full-size 4x315w panels. I rent so it’s a temporary installation and use the 200Max daily. The 315w panels are not portable but you can get them for a little bit more than the smaller 100w panels. They are big and heavy but run like a dream in full sun and low light and charge up my 200Max in 3 or so hours. I run both sets in series, parallel to both the inputs for the max. I didn’t recommend the 100w ones for a fixed installation, poor low light condition performance and don’t put enough out to fully charge the batteries for daily use.
I am keeping my eye on that unit. My only hesitation is the UPS function. The transfer switch is really slow. I am waiting to see if they resolve the issue with a software update if that is even possible. It may be a hardware issue as well. Thanks!

My panels are under two years old, have had little use and stored inside. I want to get more use out of them and thought this would be the way to go.

I would finally be able to use them with my RV, and that has been my goal the whole time. Thanks for your input, it was a big help and I think this has solidified my decision.
hi just know i just got the ac200 max and the service and communication is awful or non existent couldn’t be worse hence im here trying to learn.

Back