How's my rig doing?

vatin

Hello world of solar power and hello everyone.

I'm a beginner and very non tech incline, stepping into the world of solar power.
I'm here to seek your guidance and recommendations.
My rig consisted of 2 of these PV panels, rated at 150 W each. So 300 W combined.
They are connected to this inexpensive charge controller, rated at 30 A.
I use this rig to charge the 30000 mAh ELOOP (E29) Powerbank via USB cable.
The power bank could be charged fully in about a week.
I only have direct sunlight during the afternoon since the panels are setup vertically in door against my apartment glass window.
During its' peak hours I noticed the charge controller gets a bit hot.
I plan to move the PVs outside soon, but they will have to still be installed vertically at the balcony due to space constraints. I expect the absence of glass window would help increase the charging performance.

My big question here is, considering all the equipment with specifications as detailed. Are they optimal for the use case being mentioned?
Are there any fatal flaws, bottle necks, short comings that could be improved? As an unenlightened, what I see is the rig could charge my power bank fine, and free energy is great. But I still want to know if there's anything I could do to improve?

Thank you so much.

sunshine_eggo

Happy Breffast!
Hello world of solar power and hello everyone.

I'm a beginner and very non tech incline, stepping into the world of solar power.
I'm here to seek your guidance and recommendations.
My rig consisted of 2 of these PV panels, rated at 150 W each. So 300 W combined.

First, those panels are NOT 150W.

Panel dimensions are:

.864m * .563m = .486m^2

Under 1000W/m^2 STC, 1000W/m^2 * .486m^2 = 486W (maximum amount of solar power on the panels in perfect condition)

Panels are about 20% efficient:

486W * 20% = 97W - so those are 100W panels at best. They could be as low as 75W.

So, you have a 200W system, not 300W. Furthermore, fl

They are connected to this inexpensive charge controller, rated at 30 A.
I use this rig to charge the 30000 mAh ELOOP (E29) Powerbank via USB cable.
The power bank could be charged fully in about a week.

30000mAh = 30Ah - what voltage?

I only have direct sunlight during the afternoon since the panels are setup vertically in door against my apartment glass window.

You'll be lucky to get 50W total.

During its' peak hours I noticed the charge controller gets a bit hot.
I plan to move the PVs outside soon, but they will have to still be installed vertically at the balcony due to space constraints. I expect the absence of glass window would help increase the charging performance.

Through a window typically cuts available power by 50% or more.

My big question here is, considering all the equipment with specifications as detailed. Are they optimal for the use case being mentioned?

Too little information to answer.

Battery voltage?
Intended use?
Daily power consumption?
etc.

PET panels have poor life. The best flexible panels have an ETFE coating to improve life.

vatin

First, those panels are NOT 150W.

Panel dimensions are:

.864m * .563m = .486m^2

Under 1000W/m^2 STC, 1000W/m^2 * .486m^2 = 486W (maximum amount of solar power on the panels in perfect condition)

Panels are about 20% efficient:

486W * 20% = 97W - so those are 100W panels at best. They could be as low as 75W.

So, you have a 200W system, not 300W. Furthermore, fl

30000mAh = 30Ah - what voltage?

You'll be lucky to get 50W total.

Through a window typically cuts available power by 50% or more.

Too little information to answer.

Battery voltage?
Intended use?
Daily power consumption?
etc.

PET panels have poor life. The best flexible panels have an ETFE coating to improve life.

Thanks for pointing some useful facts.
Regarding the power bank being used.

- Capacity: 30000 mAh Li-Polymer battery
- Input (Micro) current: DC 5V - 2A & DC 9V - 2A
- Input (Type - C) current: DC 5V - 3A & DC 9V - 2A (PD + QC 3.0)
- Output (Type - C) current: DC 5 - 6V / 3A & DC 6 - 9V / 2A & DC 9 - 12V / 1.5A (PD + QC 3.0)
- Output (USB) current: DC 5 - 6V / 3A & DC 6 - 9V / 2A & DC 9 - 12V / 1.5A (QC 3.0)
- Output (USB) current: DC 5V / 2.4 A

So there are 2 inputs. Micro and Type C. Which is the better choice?

sunshine_eggo

Happy Breffast!
So is this a power pack like one might use to recharge a cell phone?

Micro: 10W (5V) or 18W (9V)
C-type: 15W (5V) or 18W (9V)

Is the controller connected to a battery?

What is the USB output of the controller? I see no documentation.

vatin

So is this a power pack like one might use to recharge a cell phone?

Micro: 10W (5V) or 18W (9V)
C-type: 15W (5V) or 18W (9V)

Is the controller connected to a battery?

What is the USB output of the controller? I see no documentation.
Clicking on one of the thumbnails of the linked charging controller page. The controller outputs 5 V via its USB port.
Yes. The power bank is a portable one designed to charge cell phone or any portable devices.
The controller is connected to the battery. That’s why I could charge it.

sunshine_eggo

Happy Breffast!
Clicking on one of the thumbnails of the linked charging controller page. The controller outputs 5 V via its USB port.

5V is the voltage, which is standard for USB. It's output would include either current in Amps or power in Watts. Without Amps or Watts, you can't determine how quickly you can charge.

Yes. The power bank is a portable one designed to charge cell phone or any portable devices.

Okay.

The controller is connected to the battery. That’s why I could charge it.

This is atypical. Most charge controllers MUST be connected to an actual 12/24/48V battery to operate properly. This may be a special situation where the USB works even if not connected to a battery.

vatin

5V is the voltage, which is standard for USB. It's output would include either current in Amps or power in Watts. Without Amps or Watts, you can't determine how quickly you can charge.
I toggled through the modes and couldn't find Amps or Watts indications. Only Volts, which read 20 when not connected to the said power bank. And drop down to around 6 when connected. My intuition suggest that the dropped volts flows to the power bank.

Okay.

This is atypical. Most charge controllers MUST be connected to an actual 12/24/48V battery to operate properly. This may be a special situation where the USB works even if not connected to a battery.
Well. That's fascinating to know. BTW, I think this is the user manual of the charge controller. If adding the 12V battery could increase the charging performance. It's worth the small additional investment.

vatin

I've connected a small 5amps 12 volts battery to my rig, and my power bank could be charged noticeably faster.
I guess that this is how it is suppose to work.
I could reach above half capacity of my 30,000 mil amp power bank in about 2.5 days, which is quite faster than prior to adding the 12v battery.