diy solar

diy solar

Howto: automatically start backup generator to recharge solar battery.

BarkingSpider

Carbon Lifeform
I live off-grid. I wanted to have a gas/propane generator backup for my battery/solar bank for when there is bad weather or I have some other problems with my electrical supply. It needed to be a powerful generator that I could use to quickly recharge my LifePO4 bank in under a few hours and then shutdown. Also I wanted this to work automatically without manually starting the generator.

Here is my solution if your interested in something similar.

Westinghouse WGen7500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator 7500 Rated & 9500 Peak Watts, Gas or Propane Powered, Electric Start, Transfer Switch Ready, 240v split phase.

Basically, the inching relay can start and stop the generator wirelessly with little work. You just need to wire it up to the smart switch port and set a delay of 1 second to start and 4 seconds to stop. Unfortunately the firmware in the Sonoff means you can only do it using an App eWeLink, IFTTT or Alexa/Google.

If you want to start the generator using a python program or script based on your battery voltage or SOC, you need to reflash it with opensource Tasmota firmware. Then you can start stop the generator with a simple curl command in Linux on a Raspberry Pi. You can also use this Raspberry Pi to read your BMS and Solar Charger info, so you can have full control of when the generator starts and how long it runs for. See my other posts on how to do that.

All the modifications are easy to undo, and the original generator functions are unchanged. You can still start it manually or use the factory remote control.

I just got this working today, if your interested post a reply and I will put up the full instructions when I have time.
Joe.
P_20200530_185211.jpg

Last edited:
nice. Some models of MPP solar have a dry contact start built in.

I just don't have generators that have electric start.

I'm using a sonoff dry contact inching controller from Amazon.

Wire it to 2 pins on the proprietary smart socket on the generator and use the frame as a common ground.

1 pin of the socket is start
1 is stop

I'm away from home at the moment, but it's easy to work to out with a 12" short piece of wire.

Start with testing the bottom 3 pins, I'll post a picture when I'm home next time, but you can easily work it out.

Using the frame of the generator as ground, connect one end of your test wire to the frame and touch the other end of the wire carefully to the pins on at a time. I'm sure it's the lower pins from memory.

Short the ground to one of the pins to see which starts and which stops the motor.
Again it's 2 of the lower 3 pins if I remember correctly.

Starting requires only a short 1 second connection and then it will try 4 times automatically like when you use the big button or remote.

To stop the motor, you need to hold the connection for a few seconds till the motor stops completely.

Once you know which pins are which you can permanently wire it to the relay. Then I set the inching relay to 3 seconds to stop the motor and 1 second to start the motor.

Its easy to solder the wires on to the pins using any soldering iron.

If you need any more info, message me here.

The nice feature of the Sonoff is you can control it with a raspberry Pi and a python script.

I will post more specific details as soon as i get back. Remind me if I forget!

Joe.

Last edited:
> I will post more specific details as soon as i get back. Remind me if I forget!

@BarkingSpider here's your reminder :)

I just got a Wgen9500df and am trying to get automatic start/stop working with my sol-ark.

Hi. Do you guys have internet at the location? If so, look into the TYCON Web Monitor 2 or 3. It's what I am using in my auto-start setup. It works great.

Back