diy solar

diy solar

HQST Compact 100W - Sent Renogy panel of incorrect dimensions

bri2k

Hi,
This will be a developing story but I wanted to share in case anyone has any suggestions or was thinking about ordering the same panels. Basically, I ordered 10 x HQST 100w COMPACT panels because they fit my van roof perfectly. What I actually received was Renogy RNG-100D-SS panels which, unfortunately, are longer than the Compact panels I ordered. I wouldn't care otherwise. The panels were ordered on Amazon from HQST and I've just sent them a message to see what they can do. Anyone had any experience dealing with HQST customer service? My hopes aren't high for a quick and painless resolution but I'll keep everyone posted.

What I ordered: HQST 100w Compact
What I got: Renogy 100w (not-compact)

Anyone in the Tampa Bay area interested in some Renogy panels for what I paid?

So if I understand you correctly, you wanted the 26x36 panels and received the 20x40's?
I ordered 4 of the 20x40 (39.64x19.61x1.18) compacts from HQST on Amazon (to match the other 4 I already have) and they sent me the 26x36 version which I cannot use due to size constraints. I did a return and sent them back for a refund as that was the only option to me. I still want the 20x40's but I don't know how to confirm which ones they will send out. I emailed them with no return.

I did notice after submitting my return, they changed the first image shown to the 26x36 panels, however if you look at the other images they still show specs of the 20x40 panel including the picture of the specs on the back showing the dimensions. It's a bummer and I have been dragging my feet on another purchase until I can get some verification. I've looked at the Renogy panels as well but they are not quite the same size (taller & longer) and 4+ pounds heavier.

Hi Austin,
Like you, I wanted the 40" x 20" panels. I need to place 4 lengthwise in a row so the extra length of the 42" panels results in an extra 8" that won't fit. Also, as you mentioned, the Renogy panels are heavier, which isn't great.

Yeah, the panel label with the specs of 40" x20" is why I pulled the trigger on the order.

Hopefully I can actually talk to someone to get the correct panels sent. I'll keep you posted. If you happen to find a reliable source for the 40 x20s please let me know.

Yeah I will. From reading your post I thought you had the opposite issue I did and it gave me hope they had the correct panels and simply sent me the wrong ones. In reality, they are just sending what they got.

I'd be really cautious ordering directly from HQST, see what happened to me (at about the same time, Sept 2020):

I'd be really cautious ordering directly from HQST, see what happened to me (at about the same time, Sept 2020):
That's disappointing. Keep us posted if you're able to get things resolved or even get in touch with anyone. I started a return through Amazon but they only provided one shipping label so now I have to see if I can actually get them to contact me and sort it out.

I'm curious as to what mine is. As size didn't matter to me but couple years back I ordered one and really had good results from the panel. Maybe I will get some measurements from it this weekend and see what size panel it is. Although the label on the back does state its the HQST panel.

I'm curious as to what mine is. As size didn't matter to me but couple years back I ordered one and really had good results from the panel. Maybe I will get some measurements from it this weekend and see what size panel it is. Although the label on the back does state its the HQST panel.
The label on the back should also state the dimensions. See example:
51J67Uum5jL._AC__LI.jpg

Just a quick update. I have been exchanging emails with sales@myhqsolar.com to get things straightened out. They did finally send me 10 Fedex labels to send the incorrect panels back. The panels are on their way back now. HQST did tell me that they will be able to send me the correct panels ( I assume after they receive the other ones) and that they are no longer be using the Renogy warehouse. I'll believe it when the correct panels show up with a different address. At least things are headed in the right direction.

View attachment 25078
I didn't get around to looking at it yesterday I will have to see if I can even get to the label as its mounted on my skibox on the car. But I could also measure. They are good panels and I have seen up to 90+ watts from it before in my Victron solar charge controller history.

Here's my label

Attachments

• IMG_20201016_150228.jpg
    IMG_20201016_150228.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 36
Here's my label
I have one of those same panels. It's a good panel. I use it for my battery box (solar generator). They are a little heavy at 16.5 lbs which is why I want the compact panels at 10 lbs.

Hoping this works out for you Bri2k and you get your compact panels. If you do, please let me know who your contact was so I can reach out to get more.

6.72Imp x 17.9Vmp = 120 watts!
Watts the deal with that?
Not sure but I have seen close to 100 watts out of it from what my Victron History has told. Its been pretty solid panel I keep it on the top of my car.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I got the situation resolved. I emailed HQST directly and they got me return labels for the Renogy panels. After receiving the returned panels they sent the correct HQST panels. The boxes were pretty beat up but the panels were fine and they were the correct dimensions. It worked out it the end but it was quite a hassle.

View attachment 25078
Is this the label off your panel. I want to buy this panel but want to make sure it is actually 9.92 lbs. Lot of discrepancy out there involving the weight. Did you weigh the panel. HQST sent me a picture of a tag showing it weighs 12 lbs. Please advise.

Is this the label off your panel. I want to buy this panel but want to make sure it is actually 9.92 lbs. Lot of discrepancy out there involving the weight. Did you weigh the panel. HQST sent me a picture of a tag showing it weighs 12 lbs. Please advise.
Yes, that is the same as the label on my panels. I have not actually weighed a panel but they are light and I believe the 10 pound claim. If they are saying the current batch is 12 lbs, I would believe that too. As often as the specs change, it seems like they just build these with whatever bulk materials they can get at the time of ordering and make a usable product.

Yes, that is the same as the label on my panels. I have not actually weighed a panel but they are light and I believe the 10 pound claim. If they are saying the current batch is 12 lbs, I would believe that too. As often as the specs change, it seems like they just build these with whatever bulk materials they can get at the time of ordering and make a usable product.
Where and when did you buy these. Really want the 10 lb panels if I can get them. Amazon shows 12 lb panels right now but I wonder if that is accurate

Where and when did you buy these. Really want the 10 lb panels if I can get them. Amazon shows 12 lb panels right now but I wonder if that is accurate
I bought them from Amazon in 2019. The one you are seeing is the current production and I doubt you'll be able to find the same 10 pound ones. I'm wondering if they have strengthened them or added a better coating or something that added weight. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them.

Back