diy solar

diy solar

HQST MPPT 40amp Charge controller.

There are a few discussions? Would you like me to read them and provide a summary?

Thanks, but alas, none of them seem to mention the HQST 40 amp solar charge controller in question. The first thing I did was to perform a cursory search. Perhaps have a glance at the original link to the product I provided? Eh? Many non-snarky thanks in advance.

Several people discussing their experience here

Several people discussing their experience here

Hey thanks for the effort, really. Unfortunately, that's not quite the same unit, rebranded or not. The unit I was inquiring about is this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09J16G1LV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

The bougeRV unit on the discussion you linked to does not have integrated bluetooth, and looks different.

But maybe it's just junk. But $45 less than anything else with integrated bluetooth. I thought it was worth a look.

What the heck, at $99, it worth a try. I'll order one and give it a go.

Last edited:
If nothing else it should do just fine at turning solar panel DC into battery DC like my 20a version does. I've never tried talking to the BT on it though so no reviews on that end of things.

Not a huge fan of having to scroll through the screen to see what kind of performance I'm getting, and the only thing it will show is volts and amps so I have to math the watts myself. If you find the app to be useful I might look into it when I'm back stateside.

If nothing else it should do just fine at turning solar panel DC into battery DC like my 20a version does. I've never tried talking to the BT on it though so no reviews on that end of things.

Not a huge fan of having to scroll through the screen to see what kind of performance I'm getting, and the only thing it will show is volts and amps so I have to math the watts myself. If you find the app to be useful I might look into it when I'm back stateside.

Wow, you have one? Mine's on the way. I already have a couple of cheap pwm's, so this has got to be an improvement at some level. I just need it to charge my 100ah SOK which is my house battery for my a-frame camper. I would like to put a couple of panels in series (200w + 100w) to charge a bit faster. I am hoping the bluetooth will allow for faster setup/modification of a charge profile and it looks like the app manual says I get volts amps and watts on the input screen. I will update when it arrives. Thanks.

Attachments

• HQST_app_manual.pdf
    486.2 KB · Views: 9
I would like to put a couple of panels in series (200w + 100w)
Do a search on here about mixing and matching mis-matched panels. You may end up with a net loss in wattage if your panels are too far different.

I got it because I needed something MPPT and cheap and it was on sale. Since I never need the things like BT and WiFi and dog washing, it does the job so no need for me to spend the big bucks on a Victron or something.

I bought the 20 amp one back in November. I am trying to determine if it is working properly. Currently running 3 100w HQST panels in series to charge 2 100ah Chins in parallel. Using daily for cell phone antennae, directv box and led tv. Starting at about 94% soc per my Ali shunt monitor (charge controller showing 100%) Next morning monitor shows approx 70% soc. By noon on a clear day the charge controller begins flashing an error message of battery overvoltage. Makes me nervous the it is trying to force charge so I have unplugged the panels so I don't damage the batteries. Am currently in discussion with the HQST seller on Amazon but can't seem to phrase my question to find out if this is normal and if the controller has stopped trying to charge.

I bought the 20 amp one back in November. I am trying to determine if it is working properly. Currently running 3 100w HQST panels in series to charge 2 100ah Chins in parallel. Using daily for cell phone antennae, directv box and led tv. Starting at about 94% soc per my Ali shunt monitor (charge controller showing 100%) Next morning monitor shows approx 70% soc. By noon on a clear day the charge controller begins flashing an error message of battery overvoltage. Makes me nervous the it is trying to force charge so I have unplugged the panels so I don't damage the batteries. Am currently in discussion with the HQST seller on Amazon but can't seem to phrase my question to find out if this is normal and if the controller has stopped trying to charge.
by miss-matched on the panels, do you mean a large difference in voc? I am hoping to link a 200watt foldable and a 100 watt foldable in series. Bad idea? lets the magic smoke out? Battery overvoltage does not sound good at all. I hope I don't experience that.

It does appear that you can set the overvoltage in the user settings, or so it appears?

Attachments

• HQST_app_settings.JPG
    HQST_app_settings.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 20
by miss-matched on the panels, do you mean a large difference in voc? I am hoping to link a 200watt foldable and a 100 watt foldable in series. Bad idea? lets the magic smoke out?
Like major nerfing of the panels in the range of 40% or so. Check out this good thread on how to do the math to see how much hit you're going to take. You may end up with 200-ish watts out of 300w of panels, which makes it kinda pointless.

We've got a good sticky down in General Battery about parallel charging from multiple sources. You'll probably get best performance if you put the 200w on the MPPT and just use a simple PWM for the 100w. You'll still lose 30-ish watts from the PWM but it'll be better than losing 100w by putting those panels together.

Give those guys a quick read through and see what you think.

Like major nerfing of the panels in the range of 40% or so. Check out this good thread on how to do the math to see how much hit you're going to take. You may end up with 200-ish watts out of 300w of panels, which makes it kinda pointless.

We've got a good sticky down in General Battery about parallel charging from multiple sources. You'll probably get best performance if you put the 200w on the MPPT and just use a simple PWM for the 100w. You'll still lose 30-ish watts from the PWM but it'll be better than losing 100w by putting those panels together.

Give those guys a quick read through and see what you think.
Thanks!

Hi, I'm having a very similar experience with my HQST, is it an E02 error? I also tried a PWM controller on my Li battery, and got a similar error. I have the HQST 40A. did you get a response from the vendor?

Back