diy solar

diy solar

HQST Poly or Mono?

CarlSoCal

Back in March Will compared 100 watt poly and mono panels. The poly panels put out more watts but they had more surface area. Basically the extra wattage corresponded to the increased surface area. The Rich Solar panels were the best buy but not as sturdy as the HQST panels. Since then the HQST panels have decreased in price. About $75 for the poly and $79 for the mono. The Rich Solar are still around $80. It would be a no brainer to buy poly HQST except now the HQST poly and mono are both the same size. Both just smaller than 2' x 3'. The poly has 36 cells and the mono has 33 cells. The mono panels Will tested were 819 sq/in and the poly panels were 1041 sq/in. The current HQST panels are a little under 855 sq/in. I am lost as whether to buy the HQST mono or poly panels. Anybody have any advice? Thanks Carl

For the price of Mono to poly what are you thinking of doing, running a RV or powering your home,? I have Mono 327w 96cell from Sunpower (20)
I had 1 inch of snow on them the other day and they were putting out power. cloudy day, no problem. poly i heard if shaded no power> for me its mono.
try this, https://www.santansolar.com/

penny wise pound foolish :)

The panels are for a box truck that I will be living in. I have just enough room for 10 of the 2' x 3' panels. The Rich Solar panels are 3' 3.5" and would hang over the sides. As I understand the mono panels handle heat better. Since I am in southern Ca with summer temperatures over 100 mono might be best.

Mono is no more or less affected by clouds than poly.

Of course owning mono, not poly I do have a stubborn view, so I win so there. Lol

The panels are for a box truck that I will be living in. I have just enough room for 10 of the 2' x 3' panels. The Rich Solar panels are 3' 3.5" and would hang over the sides. As I understand the mono panels handle heat better. Since I am in southern Ca with summer temperatures over 100 mono might be best.

Dude -- honestly -- for the size and purpose BOTH panels are going to be equal ... YES mono panels are slightly more efficient than poly panels and YES they also perform better in high heat and lower light environments but for those size panels the measurement is insignificant at best ... I would just get the ones that are the BEST FIT and cost the less ...

Back