diy solar

diy solar

HQST solar controller

RiverCity

Hoping for solar charge controller help. I have a small travel trailer. i like to go off grid and prefer to avoid, when possible, using my generator. I installed 2, 100 ah Battleborn Batteries (200 ah total) with a Victron 712 monitor. That’s been working great. Recently I added, 3, 100 watt HQST compact solar panels to the roof running to a HQST 40 amp MPPT controller (with 50 amp circuit breakers between the panels and the controller, and the controller and the batteries).

My problem is with the HQST controller. 1) The indicator light with the solar panel icon is red. I guessing from the icon that this tells me there is an issue between the panels and the controller. I doubled checked the wiring and everything looks good. 2) The other two indicator lights are green. I’m pretty sure one of them should be blue because I have lithium batteries. 3) The phone number include in the box to call about install questions is disconnected and there’s almost zero online documentation for this particular controller.

The batteries are not charging off the solar. Anyone have experience with this controller? Kind of wish I had stuck with Victron, but at hoping to get this to work. I’m not sure what to do next. Any advice?

Sorry, I'm not clear on your initial setup. You added three MORE 100 watt panels to an existing system?

Thanks for the clarification, if you have tried this, disregard.

Have you tested the three panels individually? Y'know using a DVM for ISC, and VOC? Were they OK?

I don't have that controller but aside from reaching out to HQST, in the interim I would try disconnecting everything and presuming you're running 12v and the panels parallel:

If they tested OK, re-connect only the batteries first and do a system reset, if available, then setup the controller the way you want. Then connect ONE panel, what does it do?

Normal no warning LED?

Try with all three tested panels separately.

If it works, go forward and prosper :)

Otherwise the HQST support route is in order.

In addition to testing the panels above, did you connect the battery to the controller and power it on before you connected the panels?

How are the panels connected, series or parallel?

Manual? Have you seen the "Engrish" mini font manuals nowadays? I've found none that are usable.

Ok, here is the manual from the manufacturer (not HQST) https://www.srnesolar.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controller-MC2420.pdf First off the per page 10 (or page 6 as you view the PDF) the first LED is charge state. If solid it is in bulk charge mode. 2nd LED gives state of battery, third LED is battery type. Yes Blue is for LIFEPO4. Have you programmed the unit? The battery type must be setup via the lcd display or the Bluetooth interface. This is NOT plug and play. Here is the link to the LED display instructions. https://www.srnesolar.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/RM-6.pdf . When you make the statement "...I guessing from the icon that this tells me there is an issue between the panels and the controller....: I am "guessing" the unit needs configuring..

Last edited:
Manual? Have you seen the "Engrish" mini font manuals nowadays? I've found none that are usable.
Even the worst manuals I have seen will at least tell you what the warning lights mean. With a 10 second internet search I found one HQST manual that was definitely not "Engrish" but that model had a display instead of lights so possibly not applicable to the OP's problem. ;)

Even the worst manuals I have seen will at least tell you what the warning lights mean. With a 10 second internet search I found one HQST manual that was definitely not "Engrish" but that model had a display instead of lights so possibly not applicable to the OP's problem. ;)
1618603425350.png
1618603455373.png

Thanks for the help so far. ive tested all the connections and the unit is charging the batteries. Thanks @babybober For the link to the manual and the actual manufacturer. (The manual I got from HQ Solar was a bad pdf, missing pages).

So what remains is programming the unit for LIFEPO4. It looks like I need to buy the MR6 LCD display unit separately to program the unit? Sorry for posting not very smart questions, that’s why I’m posting in the beginners section.

Last edited:
Page 11 of the manual posted above says you can program battery type with the operation key. See section 3.2 "Keys Operation"

Thanks @Q-Dog and @babybober. I see that in the manual now. And on p.3 #7 in the image points to “operation key.” Looking at the same location on the bottom of the controller I see small hole labeled “set”. Maybe I use a paper clip or pen tip and push it in to set?5E11CBF0-8A4C-42CA-8F36-E98A943A597E.jpeg

Thanks @Q-Dog and @babybober. I see that in the manual now. And on p.3 #7 in the image points to “operation key.” Looking at the same location on the bottom of the controller I see small hole labeled “set”. Maybe I use a paper clip or pen tip and push it in to set?View attachment 45467
Do all of the other ports and lights match the diagram on the manual? If so, I would follow their directions and see what happens.

Back